Demand for fairer benefits tests as two die,atos scandal.

Guest jsa12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest jsa12
THE deaths of two people who were waiting for appeals to be heard against the loss of benefits has prompted calls for a fairer assessment system.

The two claimants, both from West Dunbartonshire, died from the conditions which caused them to claim Incapacity Benefit (IB) while waiting for appeals to be heard against cuts to their benefits.

One was deemed fit for work during a work capability assessment, despite having a deteriorating chronic illness, and lost both incapacity benefit and disability living allowance.

When his support worker appeared at the appeal tribunal she had to report her client could not be there because he was dead. The appeal was upheld and the backpayment will become part of his estate.

Herald Scotland

Here.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/demand-for-fairer-benefits-tests-as-two-die-1.1085915

Edited by antone
Shortened excerpt for copyright reasons

Sounds awful but it was inevitable to happen eventually?

But look at Sally Clark, miscarriage of justice, spent 3 yrs inside for something she didn't do, then killed herself with alcohol. Not the first & wont be the last. Have changes happened where miscarriages of justice are concerned? Nah. No one that can actually change it cares really.

• 1 year later...

I've shortened the OP as the Herald holds copyright on the article. An excerpt and a link is fine, but they might well get sniffy with us if we reproduce the entire thing.

As to the content of the article, well, it was only a matter of time, really. I personally input at least one death cert for someone who died after failing the WCA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Another media report on the atrocious WCA that shows the inadequacies and heinous consequences of ATOS/ dwp and the Condem's actions.

Whilst they covered the assessment failings well it would have been better if they had included every claimants right to have their assessments recorded.

Another media report on the atrocious WCA that shows the inadequacies and heinous consequences of ATOS/ dwp and the Condem's actions.

Whilst they covered the assessment failings well it would have been better if they had included every claimants right to have their assessments recorded.

Whilst recordings will certainly help I believe the whole WCA descriptor system is flawed and that is the fundamental problem.....:sad:

This post is over a year old. Not that, that makes the issue any less relevant - just pointing it out, mainly because there appears to be a trend of old threads being posted on really!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

This post is over a year old. Not that, that makes the issue any less relevant - just pointing it out, mainly because there appears to be a trend of old threads being posted on really!

Heh, even I missed that. I suppose if the Herald was going to complain we'd have heard about it by now :-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.