Car insurance cancelled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all.

I've just been banned from driving due to a build up of points (stupid I know but there you go) and after informing my insurance company of this they have cancelled my policy even though I stated that I wanted to keep it so that my car was insured whilst I await for the ban to end and so that i wouldn't lose my no claims bonus. Nevertheless, they've cancelled my insurance and given me seven days notice of this. I intend to keep the car and as such need it insured so that I can relax and know I can claim if something happens to it outside my house even though I wwon't be driving it. I have had cars stolen before and as such I intend to insurer it with another company but will I be covered by my current policy if its stolen in the next seven days. I know that they have said that it will be cancelled then but I don't trust insurance companies and am wondering if there's some sort of small print that will enable them to not pay me if something happens in these next seven days.

Thanks all

C

You have been banned from driving, and disqualified drivers cannot be insured hence the reason why your insurers have cancelled your policy. Hence the reason why drivers arrested and charged for driving whilst disqualified also get hit for no insurance even though there may be a policy in force.

In this respect, your insurers are perfectly correct to cancel your policy.

You will either need to get your vehicle off the road, or arrange transfer of ownership to someone else for the duration of your ban and get them to insure it even though they may not drive it. However, this in itself can open up a can of worms.

'I am wondering if there's some sort of small print that will enable them to not pay me if something happens in these next seven days.'

Am I the only one who is *slightly* concerned by that question? why would anything specifically happen in the next 7 days?

'I am wondering if there's some sort of small print that will enable them to not pay me if something happens in these next seven days.'

Am I the only one who is *slightly* concerned by that question? why would anything specifically happen in the next 7 days?

You would have to read the policy small print, there is usually something in there.

But what they are probably doing is giving you 7 days grace for you to arrange to get the vehicle off the road or arrange transfer to a new keeper. I belive that there is also a statutory 7 day notice period, but someone better qualified on insurance matters can probably answer that point better than me.

You have been banned from driving, and disqualified drivers cannot be insured hence the reason why your insurers have cancelled your policy.

Why can't banned drivers hold a "Fire and Theft" policy?

Lets say for arguement a driver gets a 3 month ban. Inconvenient, but not the end of the world, he may plan to park his car up in front of his house and take the bus to work for the next few months, having his car there ready for his ban to end. If parked on the street, it needs to be taxed, MOT'd and insured.

I see nothing wrong with the insurance being reduced to F&T with only the "insured to drive" element being withdrawn or am I missing something?

Why can't banned drivers hold a "Fire and Theft" policy?

Lets say for arguement a driver gets a 3 month ban. Inconvenient, but not the end of the world, he may plan to park his car up in front of his house and take the bus to work for the next few months, having his car there ready for his ban to end. If parked on the street, it needs to be taxed, MOT'd and insured.

I see nothing wrong with the insurance being reduced to F&T with only the "insured to drive" element being withdrawn or am I missing something?

If a vehicle is going to be parked or left on a road, you can't just have fire and theft cover, it has to be insured against third party risks. A disqualified driver cannot be insured against third party risks.

If a vehicle is going to be parked or left on a road, you can't just have fire and theft cover, it has to be insured against third party risks. A disqualified driver cannot be insured against third party risks.

And in addition to that not all insurers offer a Fire and Theft only policy, so it's entirely possible that this is why the OP's insurers have cancelled the policy, even if the OP was planning on keeping the vehicle off-road.

Mossycat

OK, amend to "leaving the vehicle on his drive" which would only need F&T cover

What about any other driver named on the policy who could still drive?

A disqualified driver can hold car insurance (with a named driver as chauffeur)

A disqualified driver cannot be the policyholder, because they cannot be insured. To this end, the named driver would have to have their own policy in place. So it does not only affect the policyholder, it also affects those named on the policy.

It may be possible to switch the policy into the name of the named driver, but this is something that would ahve to be discussed with the insurers as there would probably be premium issues as well, particularly if they are a less experienced driver or if they also have a somewhat questionable driving history.