#NatWest never actioned my accepted offer - now I have a DCA chasing me!

So-Confused
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As you can see from my user name, I don't know what to do with this so I thought I would take some advice from the experts on here as its been so useful in the past!

I went through a bank charges claim (not through the courts, just correspondence) months before the test case and I was offered a fair chunk of the charges claimed back, which after some thought I accepted.

I was never going to get the cash in my hand because this account had been defaulted (it was a very difficult period in my life and Natwest at the time just kept applying charge after charge every week, hundreds of pounds worth, and wouldn't freeze it either) but I had been trying to sort out my credit file etc and I thought it would bring the debt down to finally sort out.

I sent my acceptance back and of course as it was being paid to the old debt I thought no more of it and was just expecting to hear to be chased for the balance in due course.

Now out of the blue I have received a letter from a DCA chasing me for the full original amount. It seems they never applied the accepted offer to my old debt and now since the test case failed have passed it to a DCA.

I have written to the DCA advising the amount they are seeking is wrong and enclosing copies of my acceptance etc but they have written back saying the offer clearly stated "Once the legal proceedings in the test case are completed, we will apply the findings to your claim." Also "hence no payment was due under the claim".

But my offer and acceptance were months before. The offer they made me was well over £2,000.00.

I don't know what to do, or is there nothing I can do? I would be grateful for any advice, I am really stuck ...

I received one of those offers and didn't accept it, instead taking my chances on the TC outcome. From memory, it did mention the outcome of the TC, but the terms didn't specifically include it, and it was a gesture of goodwill anyway.

Do you have a copy of the original terms?

There's a few issues here, but it will all hinge on the terms of the offer, really.