Provident/greenwoods help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello i'm new to this site and really need help please! I have loans with both provident/greenwoods and my income has more the halved recently due to job loss! Plus my ex partner who used to pay maintenance for my kids has lost his job which was to no fault of his own either so now i have hardly anything :( Both provident and greenwoods are expecting to be paid about £60 per week between them and i don't even have that for myself and kids! I really dont know what to do! one agent comes monday the other tuesday! I am now in the process of claiming benefits still waiting to here from tax credits etc! So living of the very little i have put aside till everythings sorted out! Please help, Thankyou jen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Decz

Your benefits is the minimum amount that you are entitled to live off by law, therefore the Creditors can not make you pay more than you can afford, as you are on benefits and only receiving the minimum amount per week that the law says your entitled to live off, then you only need to make token payments of £1 per creditor until your circumstances improve.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Hi welcome to the forum. Just to echo what Teaboy says above, you may like to read Sequences blog http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/entry.php?256-Sequenci-s-Debt-Diaries-Blog-Home

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile:

if you stop paying provident after few letters they tend to forget abt you (experience from few years ago when i had account with provident its been 5/6 yrs and havent heard from them which is even funny last year i was accepted for greenwoods & vanquis card both owned by provident) greenwoods i not sure due i reduce my weekly pay to them from £30 a week to £10 a week and they seem happy with it but i got a job but since your on benefits offer £1-2 a week if they dont agree stuff them its their loss

Oh thats great to know! I didn't know i could pay so little it would really help just now as we don't have much and all i can think about is my kids and if i continued paying both companies they would have to do without and that breaks me :( It was such a shock to lose my job i got no warning or anything hence why i'm so unprepared and don't know what to do! So will i send letters to them offering the payment?

A lot of people don't realise their rights in regards to debt and debt collection. Since the early 90's recesssion the pendulum very much swung into the debtors direction. The law is quite clear in what they are allowed and not allowed to do and ask for.

People don't deliberately get themselves into situations like yours and as long as you demonstrate that you are trying to deal with it, then there is not much they can do. A judge will side with you and they know this, so they will be unlikely to take you to court.

I hope sequences guide has given you some insight and help

Good luck and keep your thread updated

oh and just to clarify

they have NO LEGAL POWERS and will go nowhere near a court, with the interest rates they charge, they'll be crucified by the judge.

do not put up with any threats of anything nasty etc etc

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Oh thats great to know! I didn't know i could pay so little it would really help just now as we don't have much and all i can think about is my kids and if i continued paying both companies they would have to do without and that breaks me :( It was such a shock to lose my job i got no warning or anything hence why i'm so unprepared and don't know what to do! So will i send letters to them offering the payment?

Yes write a letter to each creditor, explaining your situation and offering the £1 repayment until your circumstances improve. After that, just ingore any letter and just keep making payments of £1 to each, Might also be worth stating that they are not to call you be phone but in writing only as you will consider contact by phone to be in breach of section 40 of the administation of jusitce act and the protection against harassment act. That way they should also stop calling you, and if they do do not answer the security questions and just say put it in writing. So long as you keep paying the £1 payments to them a judge will be in your favour all the way if they did decide to take your to court, which as others here agree, it is very unlikely that they will take legal action.

On side note i would suggest you send a CCA request to both of them too.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Really just to echo the above. Reduce your payments to just £1.00 and if they don't like it, tough! I don't know about Greenwoods as I had never heard of them, but Provident do not charge interest on late payment charges. They will be well used to people in your situation so don't worry about it - they know the risk when they take you on, that's why they charge such ridiculous interest rates.

Hi i've done the letters i got it on the templates on here the one offering a reduced payment due to change of circumstances hope this is this the correct one? Also i've filled out a I&E to show them exactly what i now have coming in and what i'm left with! Will this be ok will i send recorded or will 1st class be ok? thankyou jen.

from previous ecperience they will ingore ur letter as i have tried myself instead i just say to my agent who came each week thats all i could afford etc he said even if you only COULD AFFORD £1 a week they might complain but after few weeks they will give in and accept your offer - is ur agent ok cos i have heard few them are axxeholes i just lucky i got good one as i been with him few years also like the above post they will not take to court due to interest but you might get dca called wescots i think it is owned by provident so nothing to worry about hopefully some cag member can verify if wescot is owned by provident as i believe they own wisemans aswell notsure

Always send letters to these companies by recorded delivery and keep a copy for yourself. You can then check on the royalmail website in a few days to print off the signed for receipts - you should keep them safe with the copies of the letters in case you need to prove they got them.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi decz2004 , just to add to above posts that now you have found CAG you will find that the headache and worry that being in debt brings will soon vanish as you learn to take control of your debt away from creditors and DCAs.

sleepingdog

I've already sent in the letter and IE form ah well they will see i can't afford the full amount anymore! I never answered the door to the agent yesterday and the other ones due today and again i'm just going to leave it! The letters should be received today! I've asked to pay them by standing order i hope i can do this as i don't really wont anyone coming to the door anymore!! As i've read that some agents can become quite aggressive when you cant or don't pay the full amount ! The last thing i want is someone constantly at the door, Alough my agents have been nice while i've been a customer but then again i've never missed any payments!

In case you need them, this is the template letter to stop agents/collectors coming to your door http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

Your property is private and by invitation only, you have the right to withdraw anybodys right to step foot on your property (unless a court appoints them)

And here is the harrasment by telephone letter http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

Hi i sent the letters on the 4th of april and they were recorded delivery both which were signed for on the 5th! I also sent the doorstep letter but the agents are still banging at my door! The greenwoods one has been at the door 3 times today and puts card through the door and constantly phones my mobile and text me saying i'm 2 weeks behind when will i be in for her to collect!! I have had no response from anyone about my reduced payments! I don't know what else to do will i send the letters again? I know it was just over a week ago but i thought the manager or someone would have been in touch by now. Thanks

Give a copy of each letter to the collector, and that will stop them coming to your door. It would appear the greenwood are ignoring it, so make a complaint to trading standards about them.

It should do as you will have then formally informed the collector that their actions in attempting to collect is a tort of trespass, and they texts and phones call's to you are deemed as harassment and therefore also unlawful.

If not let us know, as a more direct approach maybe called for :-D

Tell them you will phone the police if they come on to your property again, you withdrew their invitation to your property, now they are tresspassing. they have no legal right.

Hi greenwoods are totally ignoring me :( i have sent 2 letters now to them recorded, I know they are receiving the letters because they were signed for and i have also left a note for the agent but she is still coming to my door, phoning and texting saying i am weeks behind and i need to get my account up to date soon!! Is their anything else i can send? Thanks

as i said while ago greenwords/provident will ingnore your letters all i would do is give a £1 or amount you can afford that way you wont get a default on your creditfile my mate gave them 50p a week in 2/5 pences lol they werent happy but he told that or nothing they took it lol

print off the letter

and GIVE it to the agent.

tell her if see contacts you again

you will be seeking legal advice

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...