AOL Cancellation fee.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now, I had a contract up untill december this year, I've moved home in march and needless to say I went with another company,

AOL want £116 in Cancellation fee.

Now I've just gotten a letter from AOL saying that a request they've recieved to cancle from another service provider.. which is not true because I just canceled with them and moved house?

either way, the more important part i can see is this paragraph

" We will continue to bill you for your services untill they have been cancelled. If you have cancelled within your Minimum Commitment Period, we may collect a Monthly Cancellation Charge as per the terms and conditions of your service; unless agreed otherwise (Please note this does not apply to home movers) For details, please visit our website "

Thats the paragraph word for word, I bolded the part that stuck out at me, and was just wondering does that mean I don't have to pay or what?

I mean, it's a bit unfair if they force you to pay a Cancellation charge, what if some people were forced out of their homes for whatever reason?

Reading that, it looks as though if you have moved home, then no cancellation fee is required. How did you cancel the contract. By phone, letter ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

"home movers" refers to people moving house and continuing service with AOL. It does sound like they did not cancel your service tho.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Write to them at their registered address

AOL (UK) LIMITED

SHROPSHIRE HOUSE

11 - 20 CAPPER STREET

LONDON

UNITED KINGDOM

WC1E 6JA

Put at the top of the page "Official complaint"

Include your full name, address, phone number and AOL acount number.

Tell them what they have done wrong, and what you will accept as a solution to put things right. Ask them for a "DEADLOCK" letter if they are unwilling to do this.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

I think i've missread slightly. Were you out of your minimum commitment when you cancelled? If so, they shoul have asked for the 1 month's fee and cancelled you.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

OK, then it definatly sounds like they have not actioned your request to cancel.Your complaint should be about this.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well, I've cancelled the Direct Debit as the thought of them taking £116 from me " at some point " is a bit worrying.

And the day I moved home i checked and there was no phone line or internet access of any sort in my old place.

So I'm assuming it was cancelled? I don't want to make a complaint if they've done what they said they will?

Sorry if I'm coming across as rude or anything I hope you understand just trying to get to terms with what this all actually means with them and what not :)

You need to ask them. If they didn't cancel on the date you asked them to, and then want to charge you for a period after, then that is wrong, and you need them to put it right.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar