• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NEWS****Egg Credit Cards Bought by Barclays Bank****NEWS

alfwithhair
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree.

But how do "we" argue this point now.

Clearly to bank with a bank that has the ability to grab funds from your current account is very different from dealing with egg who just nowhere or put in another way - "got egg on their face"...

So does anyone have a good idea or anyone dealt with this successfully already ??

Barclays WILL use the offset rule and tell you after they have nicked your money so be very wary!

They cleared my deposit account, not a huge sum but not a thing I could do about it so I have never since left any credit in my account with them since :x

Hp Mum, I got the same email today, the letter they claim to have sent I have not received, but where in the email does it say that they are transferring the balance from your egg card to the barclaycard?

My email is word for word as yours, but no mention of transferring the egg balance.

Egg sent me an dodgy DN, sent their solicitors packing with the threat of a complaint to the solicitors regulatory body, so bring it on Egg, oops Barclaycard.

Hi all

I've had the same email, now surely Bcard can't just add any other alleged debt they may have purchased onto your account? Shouldn't there be some kind of deed of assignment? Seems crazy if they can.

What if I settle the Bcard account by using a balance transfer, then close the account before this alleged debt arrives on my statement, can they prevent me from closing the account or can they re-open with the new alleged debt on it?

Hi guys

I've got the same email which also says;

Your statements and payments

If your monthly repayments are made by Direct Debit they will continue to be collected in this way. Further information on the changes we will be making to your Direct Debit is available using the below link.

For further information on your statements and payments or if you have a card repayment plan please see the frequently asked question information at the end of this e-mail. "

The FAQs are pretty uninformative so I'll continue token payments direct to Egg until November and then see what transpires; however I can envisage that it will be difficult for me to pay BCard if they fail to communicate a method of payment and a NoA.

x

v

With regards to the Notice of Assignment - how can egg transfer a debt to any other company which they have terminated? The position with the egg account would have to be disclosed upon sale, surely ? If egg terminated the account, they can not reactivate the same account for a sale. And if egg terminated the account, and set up a new agreement with new terms without the permission of the card holder, then again surely they can't sell this to another company ?

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to deal with this ?

There must be a good line of arguement for everyone to follow ?

There is not much time now if Barclays action on the egg acounts is due to start in November....

For a start cancel any DD in favour of egg or barclaycard. the set up a SO in favour of any agreed repayment plan.

Egg terminated my agreement but still owe them noney and it is the debt thats been sold on/transfered

Also transfer any spare money out of your barclays acoount so they cant take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am willing to wait and see what becomes of this EGG/Barclaycard saga.

More important things going on in my life at the moment than worry about what they may or not do.

Limit on my barclaycard at moment grand sum of less than £300, be interesting if they even attempt to add over a grand of alleged debt to it :lol:

Egg sent me a faulty default notice, I sent their solicitors and dca's packing.

Reported the lot of them to the OFT who still have the correspondence I sent them.

Time to put the kettle on I think.

• 3 weeks later...

got my letter this morning after hearing nothing for about 18 months from Egg, who, as with many others on this thread had terminated my account. On the other hand, I dont have any dealings with Barclays/Barclaycard

Interesting thing about today's letter is that they go into the all the benefits of the new card, the changes to statements and payments, t&cs etc, having told me in the first paragraph that they wont be sending me a card in the first paragraph. The first thought that occurs is whether, since Egg terminated the account (and when I heard from them last the account was clearly in dispute), is it worth writing to them on the basis that since I was disputing the Egg account I didnt accept their attempt to transfer me to Barclaycard's new terms and conditions. I dont imagine for one minute they will reply "oh, alright then", but might it be important if this ever got to court ("I protested at once about the new T&Cs"). OR, and this is the second thought, is it better to "let sleeping dogs lie"?

All points of view gratefully received.

Ta

SFU :|

Just checked an old email account I used to use and there's the email from Barclaycard saying they've bought my Egg account. One problem though, Brian Carter is currently litigating on behalf of Egg on the account which I defaulted on. What sort of an impact may this have on his case?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't cancel my Barclays accounts. I have had such problems with almost every bank that I don't think there is any bank that will have me !!

This is a serious issue.

I just do not understand how a debt that is disputed can be sold and fresh claims made on it with the new holder of the debt ?

Is there no-one that has good advice on how to handle this situation ?

• 1 month later...

My reply to barclays in regard any attempt to get money out of me for a debt that egg sent a dodgy default notice would be thankyou for paying off the alleged debt but under the bills of exchange act 1882 I do not owe you a penny, if you care to proceed with this I consider it to be on very dodgy ground and await your response.

They have basically paid off a disputed debt thats their look out.

Mills; Not sure your right about paying it off, would suggest they bought the debt IMO.

They "Bought" the debt, in my opinion they have paid off the debt, barclays are a third party and as such have no rights of recourse with myself, they "bought" "paid off " an account in serious dispute.