Volunteer for Redundancy Dilemma? Advice please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My company is embarking on a program of redundancies as a cost saving measure. We are currently coming to the end of 'collective consultation'. We asked the question "Is there a voluntary redundancy programme?" the answer was that there is no official program, but you can put yourself forward and the company would consider it. The cuts are drastic (about 70%). Some people would prefer to be made redundant. I am considering putting myself forward but I am not really sure what the risks are? Where does that leave me afterwards, if I am declined? i.e. once I 'show my cards' as it were?

Collective consultation ends quite soon and then I guess we will find out who has been 'put at risk'. If I am NOT selected, perhaps that would be the best time to put myself forward? Or is there any downsides of leaving it until after collective consultation?

Would be grateful of any advice esp. if there are risks I am overlooking. I have been through redundancy programs (and survived) several times before, but I have never wanted to leave before.

Thanks.

The worst thing that can happen if you are declined is that they select you for it afterwards after all! If they decline, given the scale of the cuts, then it seems that your employers either love you, need you, or both - so any way you look at it it's a vote of confidence.

The obvious risk is not in the workplace - it's when you leave the workplace. Because jobs are hard to find and getting harder. You may have no choice about that - but you may want to think carefully before volunteering for it!

My company is embarking on a programme of redundancy in the UK. With the aim of cost cutting by off-shoring roles. We are currently coming to the end of the collective consultation phase and expect that individuals will be put at risk very soon. The company have said that they may put some people on an 'extended' at risk period. They have not stated clearly how long this could be, but they guess up to about 6 months and it will be agreed between the individual and the manager. I think the idea is that they want some individuals to stay to complete important work / handover etc. I think they want to do this in a big group now rather than delay it so they can show the shareholders what they are doing to protect profits after dissapointing results are announced at the coming year end.

Obviously, we don't expect the people on extended risk to put a great deal into the job and as the cuts are deep (approx 70%) this is going to be very difficult for the people left behind, who's morale is already at rock bottom.

Can they really put people on extended risk of redundancy? e.g. isn't it arguable that the role is not actually redundant?

The company says it does not have any official voluntary redundancy programme, but say they would 'consider' volunteers. I'm conserned that this is an empty gesture and just a way to get us to 'show our hand'.Any advice for the people that are left behind who are expected to pick up the pieces? Because the cuts are so deep, we expect the job to be impossible and so will want to leave. Is there any other option apart from resigning empty handed?

Thanks.

AGGGHHHH - not offshoring again! Sorry. Having a nice calming cup of gin now :!:

Yes, they can put people on extended at risk periods - it's not an uncommon practice for a number of reasons. Provided that they do not go overboard - and by that I mean sloping along in ten years and saying that they're going to make you redundant now it is permitted.

But no - if you haven't been made redundant yet (actually served redundancy notice) then if you leave you get nothing.

Hello pfozz. You have 2 threads running about the same thing, more or less. You will get better advice if you merge the two, IMO. If you click on the black triangle at the bottom of one of your posts, you can 'report' it to the site team and they will put the two together.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

2 threads merged as requested

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE