Scooter/moped licence

MrBlack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I live in Wiltshire and need more mobility than what the public transport service can offer me at the moment! I dont drive and am thinking learning to drive a car will take too long, but someone has mentioned to me that I could learn to drive a scooter in just one day, some sort of intensive training day that costs £120 or so, which would allow me to drive a 50cc scooter ? Is this correct? Where would I inquire about this? A normal driving lesson centre?

Thanks in advance :-)

You need to do what is called CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) which for most people is a 1 day course conducted by an approved instructor at an approved site.

The course consists of 5 elements, theory, off road training where you learn the basic skills and then a minimum two hours on road training where various excercises are also completed. There is an instructor/student ratio of 1 - 2 and the instructor must have radio contact with his students, (although you cannot talk to him, he can talk to you).

There is no pass or fail. Provided you satisfy your instructor that you are competent in the skills you are taught, then he is obliged to issue with the certificate DL196 (CBT certificate) which is valid for 2 years and allows you to (age permitting) to ride any size motorcycle up to and including 125cc. If you wanted to ride something bigger, then there is a seperate path you go down, although the CBT requirement remains the same.

If you choose to pass your full test within the 2 years, and if you wish to continue riding, then you would have to do another CBT course and this would be a bi-annual requirement until you passed your test.

If you failed to reach the standard required in the first day, then 99% of schools will ask you to return for further training at a later date and continue until such time as you reach the standard, and usually at no additional cost.

Most schools have bikes you can hire for a minimal cost, thereby avoiding the need for you to arrange for your bike to be transported, and they will cover you on your insurance, and many schools will also lend you some kit, but I would strongly recommend at the very least you buyt your own helmet on both hygiene and safety grounds.

Costs vary, but reckon on approximately £80 - £120 depending on what area you are in, and also shop around some schools or ask for recommendations as standards of instruction vary quite a bit.

Once you have completed your CBT as I said, you will be allowed to ride a motorcycle (manual or automatic) up to 125cc, but you are also required to display L plates front and rear (remember if you cut them down so they are smaller its a £60 fine and 3 points for each L plate offence) you cannot carry a pillion and you cannot use a Motorway.

Hope this helps

I don't know hold old you are but if you are over 17 and your potential journeys will be on roads with speed limits above 30mph then I would consider a 125cc scooter instead of a moped. Mopeds are restricted to 30mph and you will find them a liability on the faster roads.

TC is on the money with regards to the compulsory training that you will need to complete to be able to ride a scooter. The CBT is only the basics and further training would be recommended, especially for a non driver such as yourself.

I would add that if you haven't done so already you will need to apply for a provisional driving licence through the DVLA.