Electricity bill received - HUGE - a case of switching supplier problem?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4858 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Received an email this morning from Eon saying I owe them £2000! Now I havn't quite got to the bottom of this but the story is as follows:-

2008 moved into rented house

deceide to change my gas/electricity supply to one company

assumed all went to plan (damn that was a mistake)

2009 received an overdue FINAL bill from the old company saying sorry your leaving us but pay your final overdue bill now - which I did in full

2010 bills are all on line with new supplier and DD set up so thought nothing of it

2010 left house rang company provided readings closed account- told supply new address and they were to continue supply at new address - job done.

Now it appears - that, due to the email I received this morning, a problem has occured and I have been in limbo between suppliers, and that i never did leave the old company (even though I have letters from them telling me that i did)

Now I guess I'm at fault for being nieve and not checking all the details and assuming that two major suppliers could handle a simple change in supply - however, I now have a problem......

Any suggestions as to a course of action greatly received.

Hi blu

I think the best thing to do is get all the information from both companies. You want all the Bills from company A for the last 4 years and all the Bills from company B for the last 2 years.

Then apply the dates to those bills, get it all on a spreadsheet. Send a Account in Dispute letter to the Company. It should be fairly easy to sort out.

Who are the suppliers?

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Consumer.aspx

Hi rebel11

Eon are the ones who are now chasing me for £2K, scottish power are the compnay that should of taken over the electricity supply. It was obviously all going through, or gone through, as I have a final bill from Eon saying sorry you're leaving us...........

Hi,

Not sure that I can help that much , had a similar problem changing suppliers form Npower to Southern Electric, the latter have been pretty good but npower dreadful. It took 2yrs to change suppliers cost a lot of time and money and now I am looking for a court hearing to try to get redress. So what would I try if I were you, first call look up consumer direct on the web, follow their suggestions, probably not going to get you very far, you may be luckier than me, also contact offwat and the energy ombudsman, I had two goes at the latter and whilst I did get a positive result it still left me out of pocket so I am now resorting to the County Court after trying mediation and everything else. At least the ombudsman should sort out the reason for the £2000 bill (probably part of the chief execs bonus for good customer service) Sorry not much help but you do know that your ar enot alone in this.

Hi blutejpj

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would like to investigate this one for you to confirm exactly what has happened (from a ScottishPower perspective anyway). If you PM me your details I will be able to confirm the following:

1. Did we take over your electricity supply (correct supply details for your property) and if so, what date we took over and what meter reading we used to start billing your account.

2. Were your start meter readings provided to your previous supplier to close down their account for you.

3. Any other queries you have regarding your ScottishPower account.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Not sure that I can help that much , had a similar problem changing suppliers form Npower to Southern Electric, the latter have been pretty good but npower dreadful. It took 2yrs to change suppliers cost a lot of time and money and now I am looking for a court hearing to try to get redress. So what would I try if I were you, first call look up consumer direct on the web, follow their suggestions, probably not going to get you very far, you may be luckier than me, also contact offwat and the energy ombudsman, I had two goes at the latter and whilst I did get a positive result it still left me out of pocket so I am now resorting to the County Court after trying mediation and everything else. At least the ombudsman should sort out the reason for the £2000 bill (probably part of the chief execs bonus for good customer service) Sorry not much help but you do know that your ar enot alone in this.

in view of the huge profits the energy companies are making as a result of ripping off customers no one should have to tolerate this behavior, is it now a good time to teach them the power of people power and all sign a petition to move from british gas at the end of march unless they reduce prices by 15%, there by leaving them with no customers overnight which might start a price war between companies ( after all they act has though they do not really want us). Does any body out there have the know how to start the petition.

Hi blutejpj

I'm sorry you're having this problem and, like Colin at Scottish Power, I'll be happy to look into this for you. If you would like to PM me your details, I'll investigate from E.ON's side.

Did we originally supply both the gas and electric or was it just the electricity which you then changed to Scottish Power?

Have you asked us for a copy of the bill detailing the alleged outstanding balance? If you have this, do you know if the Meter Serial Number on the bill is the same as that on the meter in your old property?

I'm wondering, if we supplied both fuels, whether the final bill you received was for just for the gas and we continued to supply the electricity but against an incorrect meter.

This is pure speculation, though. As above, if you let me have your details I'll be able to look at this properly. Look forward to hearing from you.

Malc