Damaged bt line

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The external phone line into our property doesn't appear to be a bt installed line so I'm concerned that bt will try to charge us to replace it. If it wasn't damaged I would leave things as they are but there is at least two cuts in the cable already. The phone works ok but I'm worried that rain will get into the wire now that we've removed the blue tack and sellotape that was hiding the damage. We only moved into the property around 18 months ago and wondered why this blue tack was on the wire. There is an even bigger bit of blue tack on the wire just as it enters the wall. Can bt charge us even though its nothing to do with us? Goodness knows how long this wire has been there but its connected to a digital master box inside with an old british telecom logo on it.

they will charge as its the customers own installation rater then a line fault,however it does sound is if its not pre master socket and only an extension.outdoor black cable should be used as this is designed to withstand uv light,to prevent water ingress use a silicone sealant around the entry point,providing the cable is crimped properly its a simply job.

these are the sellers i have bought from on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mr-Telephone-Supplies

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Additional-Home-Connections

blue tack has an oily base and may well dry out in the sun.

• 1 month later...

As it is the main line into our property I contacted bt. They say they did a line check and that the phone is working fine. They also said in an email to me that they rang me and were sorry to have missed me. That's all well and good but I never received that call. As I happened to be in that day I double checked 1471 and found the last phone call to our number was exactly a week previous. My phone also wasn't flashing missed call. I do have a dial tone, but although I can connect to the internet that does seem to run slow. I was told by bt that they would charge £130 if they sent an engineer out. Is it likely that they did ring like they say or are they telling porkies?

Did bt ever use grey cabling? I know that the master box has an old british telecom logo on it.

Ginger'smum

I am having a similar problem at this time Broadband working perfectly, in the last week first people started to not be able to ring me(they got ringing tone then straight to BT voice mail). On Friday I tried to ring out and while I had dial tone and ringing tone as soon as call was answered my phone went dead. Now no dial tone nothing. Have BT coming this afternoon.

dpick