Insurance advice needed -

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Our car was stolen 2 days before we were set to permanently leave the UK. The car was supposed to be kept in storage & then exported less than 24 hours before it was stolen (professionally done). Filed a claim with our insurer and they agreed a settlement claim without prejudice of xxxxx. We surrendered both set of keys and the V5 document and insurer was informed that we were leaving the UK permanently.

We have since left the UK and 3 weeks after my claim, I received an email from the police that our stolen car had been recovered. I had the courtesy to inform the insurer(via our broker) news of the recovery. Insurer has since replied that they were withdrawing the settlement offer as the car had been recovered and the car is still our property. Insurer say that they are not in a position to settle as the car is not a 'total loss' and appears to have no damage! The insurer want an address for them to return the keys/documentation. Our broker has not succeeded in convincing the insurer to reconsider the claim.

The problem is that we have permanently left the UK and there is absolutely no chance of us to return to the UK to collect the car nor is there anyone to collect the car on our behalf. I cant even be sure that there are no damages to the car! I have spoken to the insurer and they are 'having none of it' and still insist that they have 'nothing to do' with the car any longer.

I know that worst case scenario that we will be at a loss on this one but just for disclosure, could anyone advice if our insurer is acting within their rights?

Thanks!

Your insurer is acting quite correctly.

Most insurers wait a minimum of 28 days before settling a claim for theft, that's to allow for the car to be found. Some insurers will get the keys/documents in advance and in some cases even make a settlement offer, this is done to speed up the process and enables them to send out a settlement cheque as soon as possible (after the 28 days or whatever their minimum period is).

The car is your property, you are insured for theft but it is no longer stolen, therefore it remains your property and your responsibility and your insurers are no longer involved (unless there is damage to the car that is).

It's unfortunate that you are now outside of the UK, but it is now down to you sort out anything regarding the car

Mossycat