Data Protection Act / repeated loss of information

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

today I've received a request for copies of my passport and other documents - the fourth request inside of ten months, and the 7th since I first joined the company five and half years ago.

When I gave the copies last April and complained that they had lost the previous 3 sets, they apologised and said they would look after them this time. The next set they claimed it was for a backdated CRB check, but then I got another request, again for the CRB check. Then I got this request. Each time I ask where the previously supplied documents are, they tell me they dont know and its because of the various mergers/demergers, but we've been static for 12mths, so I cant understand why they keep losing my documents.

Surely under the Data Protection Act, they have to look after my passport copies etc?

well if thats all the action the Information Commissioner will take, there's no point in me pushing the issue as I'll just antagonise HR - I guess its a description of the 'slap of a wet soggy ticket' (or rather letter).

I'd just like a guarantee that I never, ever get another request for my information again, and a consequence if they do. I feel harassed by HR's constant requests

You could ask for a signature from the supervisor / manager and state that you are very concerned that the processes in that department are such that you are worried that personal information is being lost all the time. Then if it happens again you have the proof that a manager has failed to safeguard your personal information. That would be the evidence to support a grievance. Although you again would be taking on management.... and as you say that will only aggravate them.

Alternatively, you could apply for the CRB check yourself ask the company for the money for the fee and submit it yourself for checking, Then present the result when you get it !!

The first time was both standard at time of joining the company and for visa change (Dec 2006)

The second time was when visa change completed (as Im not UK national) (April 2007) - visa was for 5 years

The third time was they couldn't find my records when the company was restructured (February 2008)

The fourth time was they couldn't find my records and wanted to confirm my work eligibility (April 2010) (three years into five year visa)

The fifth time was for backdated CRB check (August 2010)

The sixth time was for backdated CRB check as they couldn't find the set from the 5th time (a time of about six weeks) (Oct 2010)

And time number seven - the most recent - was they wanted to check my eligibility again (four years into five year visa) (Jan 2011).

I've got emails from each time making the request and confirming the receipt each time; when I've forwarded the emails showing they've already got it, I just get "Well we dont have it now". I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall

*bang* *bang* *bang*

This is perhaps throwing fuel on the fire - but all employers are supposed to have copies of evidence that every employee is entitled to work in the UK permanantly on record. Yep, thought I shouldn't mention that....:-)

You have the right to give them a real lashing over not "controlling" your personal sensitive data, this does not mean you should do because you will antagonise them.

That said i would make it clear that you are concerned that these very personal documents are being lost on a frequent basis and "ask" that they abide by their last response and keep them safe, also ask when they will next require them.

This is perhaps throwing fuel on the fire - but all employers are supposed to have copies of evidence that every employee is entitled to work in the UK permanantly on record. Yep, thought I shouldn't mention that....:-)

They sponsored me onto the work permit, which is a five year permit, and Im only 4 years into it - it expires April 2012. Surely the copy passport and the UKBA approval issued back in 2006 would be enough? Seriously though, I've got no problems with them having the correct records - I just want them to look after them, and the constant requests show that they don't. I actually harassed by the requests now as it feels like they're taking the easy option by not bothering to look after things, and just re-requesting to save themselves the trouble of looking after the documents they've requested before