Nationwide took weeks worth of JSA :(

Silky444
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The woman on the phone told me they are unable to refund bank charges to someone who is receiving Job Seekers Allowance, baring in mind I only get £30 a week and the bank charge was 2x £15.

They told me today I have a £15 fee but they said they would cancel that on and then she said I'll have another one for £20 cos my account it overdrawn by 52p baring in mind they are the reason it's overdrawn.. I told them I get JSA on monday, she said it's more than likely to get the £20 fee but she said i could phone them up and they may be able to refund it in joint with the £15 one they refunded today.

How do i go on about getting my £30 back :( She said i don't fit the criteria.. Hmmm :evil::evil::evil:

The guy upstairs seriously has a problem with me.. Nothing seems to go right!!!:|

Hi Silky, shame for you! I am pretty sure they are not allowed to use your benefits for their own charges. I am about to do battle with them for my son's account which was only ever deposits of JSA, an interest charge of £1.24 on a balance of £0 in October 2009 has now snowballed into nearly £200 of monthly overdraft and interest charges which they are now hounding him on the phone for!!!

Have just been looking in the library for the relevant letter regarding charges on benefits but couldn't find it. I shall ask site team to direct us there ;)

In the meantime, open a basic account with someone else, even the Post Office where you can get your benefits paid in and where no charges can be made ;)

Obvioulsy disregard the reclaiming of charges for the moment but this link should explain benefits and charges:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125278-Your-bank-is-taking-your-benefits-in-charges

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies Site Team :) So, it looks like the banks can take their bank charges out of benefits deposited. I really thought they couldn't. I think I'd better send son into his Job Centre for that letter...... what's the bet they don't know anything about it?!

I may just draw up my own letter here tomorrow and let you see it Silky ;)

there have been successes here with nationwide using the hardship route

and they have put the money back

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

JSA should be more than £30 per week. It's £51.85 for singles under 25 and £65.45 for singles aged over 25, unless deductions are being made for one reaso or another - so I'd encourage this to be queried with the DWP. In the meantime, you can ask for the JSA to be paid by postal giro instead of into the bank. They will do this if the bank are taking your benefit for bank charges, but they can't replace any payments already made to the account, or the one that is due to credit tomorrow. For information, they can recall a payment that's going to an account up until 11:30 the day before it is due to credit. At least if the payment is made by postal giro in the meantime, the bank can't touch the money.

To survive in the short term until the next JSA payment is made, a crisis loan is an option.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Just had a telephone conversation with Nationwide's collections dept regarding my son's account. I did tell them it was recorded ;)

They are crediting his account with all charges and interest, reducing it to 0 balance, and closing the account with no adverse credit rating effect :)