Barclaycard

frankiediamonds
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wrote a letter to Barclaycard about three weeks ago asking them if they could freeze the interest on my card temporarily as I'm over the credit limit (and have been for about three years) and just can't get anywhere paying it off. I still haven't heard back from them!!

Does anyone have any tried and tested addresses for Barclaycard whereby they had a response from them?

One more thing... I noticed on a recent statement that I am paying £10.00 a month payment protection insurance- I don't think this was 'mis-sold' to me as I remember agreeing to it when I took out the credit card however should I cancel this as it's just one more expense I could do without. One problem....I switched jobs last year and I'm on a six month probation period at my new job (ending in April).

Any advice much appreciated! :!:

Hi Frankie,

BC are notoriously useless at helping when customers fall on hard times. So don't expect a helpful reply to your letter, if they actually reply at all.

Re the PPI, you should check if it was appropriate for your circumstances, even though you agreed to it. If you were self employed or employed, if you had any medical condition that would stop them paying out if you claimed, etc. check out the PPI forum for more info on this.

In the meantime, write to BC cancelling the PPI with immediate effect.

If you've been struggling with the payments for some time, there will be penalty charges on the a/c which you can reclaim in full as they are unlawful penalties. In addition you should claim compound interest in restitution at the a/c's "cash withdrawal" rate. Read the Interest Tutorial linked in my signature below.

You need all your statements for any period when you may have been charged penalties. If you don't have these, use a SAR request - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?552-Data-Protection

Adapt the letter to suit your case as necessary and send by Rec'd Delivery. Keep copies of all letters and only communicate in writing, not by phone.

Read other threads here to see how others are dealing with their charges reclaims. 8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Shadow,

Yes, I think Frankie should write to BC and give them a final 7 days to respond to the request for an interest freeze.

If they fail to respond in that time, complain to the FOS that they are doing nothing to assist during hardship despite Frankie's reasonable request.

But continue to work on getting back charges and PPI anyway.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for your help!

I will send a chase letter today and also request that they cancel the PPI payments asap.

I am currently paying £40.00 a month (the minimum payment plus £10.00) and I am only £200.00 (approx.) over the credit limit but the £40.00 just gets swallowed up in 'over the limit charges' and the PPI that I am paying for!

If they temproarily freeze the interest, I might actually be able to get somewhere!!

Will keep you posted!

My advice would be to concentrate your efforts on claiming back the charges. I got absolutely nowhere when I tried to get Barclaycard to freeze/reduce interest on my friends balance despite recorded delivery letters etc. However when my friend decided to reclaim the £8 difference between the charges of £20 and the OFT recommended charge of £12 from 2006 Barclaycard suddennly paid up in full - all of the charges from 2004 + 8% interest. This has cleared his balance completely and was much less effort than getting the interest frozen.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.