NTL - phone and internet account

aram
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you are unable to pay your NTL phone bill you are disconnected. The letter arrives the same day you are disconnected and there is no prior warning. On the letter sent on the day of disconnection, you are advised that you may pay via a paypoint store to bring your account in line. However, if you do this, you will remain unconnected until the payment shows up at NTL's end, which can take 5 working days. This is an unacceptable amount of time without internet and phone. Furthermore, you are charged £20 for going over your account limit, despite how little you are over by (again it is usually for a few pence as you just creep over your limit on a phone call...). Sounds similar to the bank situation. Surely something is wrong here, at the very least they should give ample warning of disconnection, or allow some kind of service whilst the payment is made. I had my receipt number from paying in a paypoint store and they still wouldn't accept that I'd actually made payment. anyone have similar complaints or thoughts on this?

I'm not sure about the disconnection issue but the over limit fee raises precisely the same issues as fees associated with bank accounts and credit cards. Assuming that it isn't a genuine pre-estimate of cost then it should be recoverable in the same way.

ntl

we had an ntl phone package installed you know the one phone broadbant tv all for £30 a month, all was fine at first until one day the phone and tv stopped working. i phoned ther number ) I WAS ONLY GETTING INCOMING CALLS AND COULD ONLY PHONE THEM)they informed me rather snottily that i had

gone over my £100 credit limit i asked what she was talking about as i hadnt had my bill,

she replied well no it only goes out on tuesday so how on earth can i pay a bill i have not had and furthermore i was not informed of this £100 limit on the account when i sighned up it was all new to me. anyway bill arrived the phone charges were wrong i had not made the calls and they had charged me twice for them ie. last month and this month. from what i can gather they are a pretty bad firm to deal with.

yeah, this is exactly what i am talking about. they are definitely doing it to make money. did you know anything about this £100 credit limit. what is it all about? anyhows, i am too busy sorting the bank stuff out at the mo. but will re-post if i take this issue up as well. peace and ting. aram.

BT also operate a "credit limit" policy for some new users - especially people who join them from addresses that have previously had problems. Student accommodation is a classic example.

NTL will often reconnect people who have paid through paypoint - providing they ring up and give them the transaction details from the receipt. I don't know if this is still the case - we are going back about 4 years.

I've previously posted regarding my sister's NTL account. A slightly different situation here but none the less smells of NTL's incompetence! (Search for my post)

Despite actually closing the account and sending the matter to a debt collection agency they sent a further bill for services that she no longer has and instructed a second debt collection agency.........can't think why Telewest would want to get involved!!

plus if they cut your phone off you can't even phone them! You have to phone from a mobile!

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

the line will be disconnected by computer not by a engineer at a switch. if you blow into the mouth piece on a phone you will get the blow in your ear, this is a test to make sure a line is active.

if you can do this, no wire from the switch has been removed. if you get nothing then it has been hard disconnected by a engineer. who gets paid a basic wage. the disconnect will take him all of 30secs if he is good and 5mins if he cant count properly to find your jumper cable in the switch.

so the charge is a unlawful charge, as far as i am aware. no real man power is used.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks