Voucher

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear sir/madam,

I have been issued with a voucher code for £2499 for a replacement TV, as It came back from repair the TV was damaged.

I feel that the fact that I cannot use the voucher online or over the phone to purchase another TV I am being penalised as I am told I can use only in currys or pc world store, due to the fact I dont drive and also registered disabled and due to the TV was damaged through to no fault of my own. I hope you can resolve this issue.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I appreciate that somebody can give me a lift, but I have contacted customer services due to the fact that I have been given replacement voucher the TV I have seen at Currys on line is a Sony bravia KDL-60EX703U at £2499, whilst the same TV at Comet online is £1999, when I rang up to enquire the sales guy on the telephone was happy to price match it but when I said I have the voucher code he said he cannot use voucher code on the telephone and can only be used instore. Furthermore he said that due to the fact I have a voucher code he cannnot use pricematch promise. I see that if i was a paying customer eg credit card etc they will honour the pricematch but as I have a voucher code I am being penalised. I have also seen the TV at a local electrical store for £1840 inc 5 years sony guarantee, they also have a local store so earlier I had sent a relative down to currys/pc world and they said they will not honor the pricematch as I have a voucher but would if I was paying cash/card etc. I am not being treated as normal customer even though they were happy to take my cash for the TV in the first place.

You are being treated as a 'normal customer', it'll be in their terms and conditions.

If this can be enforced legally is another matter though.

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

The best thing I could suggest really is to go down to your local store, tell someone you want that TV at the price another place is advertising it, don't tell them you have a voucher though. Wait for them to price match it and throw in this and that to try and sweeten the deal, just act like you're debating on it and they'll try and entice you. Only once they put everything into the till and they ask for payment do you produce the voucher.

Not guaranteed to work, but after they've put so much effort into putting everything together they may well begrdugingly accept the voucher. (You may also get a novice sales guy who just takes the voucher without question)

Also, the Currys website states the Price Promise terms and conditions as,

Our Price promiseBack to top We won't be beaten on price!In the unlikely event that you find a cheaper price, for the same product and offer, We’ll not only match the price but also beat it by 10% of the difference. Our price promise even applies up to 7 days after purchase.

Single unit purchases only. The competitor must be a retail store within 30 miles and have stock ready for delivery. Available instore only.

No mention of vouchers being excluded. The only restrictions are single unit purchases, the matching store has to be within 30 miles and have it in stock, and that you go in store. If they do argue in the shop, direct them to their own website and advise if they don't abide by their own terms and conditions that you'll be taking the matter up with Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Agency.

I know this doesn't help with not being able to use the voucher online or over the phone, but it's the best I can come up with :S Also take note of the beating it by 10% of the difference. So if you find it £500 cheaper, they should take £550 off the price, not just £500.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Juggi,

I have had similar problems with Currys before and their "Whatever Happens" warranty. Regarding your post about being disabled and not being able to make it to the store, there really is nothing I can suggest, as I work the company and there is no way of processing your voucher code over the phone or online...

Moreover, if you read my previous post then you will know I was also issued with a voucher (after lots of hassle and a stern letter!), and like you I also wanted to pricematch John Lewis. As I work for the company I know for a FACT that they can pricematch using a voucher, but like you, when I went into another store, where a John Lewis actually had the TV I wanted in stock (allowing me to request the pricematch), the manager refused to do it. Firstly he argued that the TV wasnt in stock (however me expecting this, I reserved the TV with the reservation number and actually rang the John Lewis store in front of the manager on speakerphone, making him look like a complete liar). After I made the manager of the store look stupid in front of all of his employees, he then told me that he wouldn't pricematch because I had a voucher, i consequently dropped the bombshell that I worked for the company and that they could (I also provided a printout of our online employee training page stating that pricematch COULD be used with replacement vouchers, which is on the employee system within the store).

This is where it gets really amusing... The manager of this store then told me that he didn't care and wasn't going to do it, I threatened to contact head office about this and he had the audacity to call me unprofessional and told me to leave the store otherwise he would call security. After all this time he was being extremely aggressive, so I had no choice but to leave the store WITHOUT a new TV.

Sorry for long text I just like to tell my story of how terrible this company is when it comes to not only repairing your TV, aggressively selling you things you don't need, then refusing to actually give you replacements for things that you specifically pay extra for (Whatever Happens). It amazes me how they get away with so much and trading standards havn't done anything about it.

Long story short the only way I managed to get the TV I wanted, and the pricematch, is by telling my own store manager about the whole incident and he then processed the new TV purchase for me. While doing this he made the comment "Store Managers will do anything to protect their margins".

Sadly I can see its VERY unlikely that your going to get the pricematch, and they will make it as difficult as possible for you to get it. The only way I can see you getting it is by sending a recorded letter to headoffice directly asking them if you can use pricematch with replacement vouchers, also mention that you have been told by an employee that it can be done but you would just like confirmation. If they confirm this then bring the letter with you into the store when requesting the pricematch so you can argue your point (but like me you may still be threatened and told you leave regardless).

I STRONGLY recommend that nobody EVER buy ANY warranties from this company (PC World/ Currys / Dixons). They will give you hell when trying to make a claim and give you hell when trying to use the vouchers (even if you get that far). To sum this all up I work for the company and they still treated my TERRIBLY, so what is an average customer, who doesnt have the knowledge I do stand any chance? They dont!

I hope my post is useful to you and please let me know if anybody finds it useful..

Thanks for reading!! Rant over...

P.s. The only reason I still work for this awful company is because I am at university and need to money.. When I finally get my degree I will never shop there again!! :D

Hi EddyGoSteady,

I also work for the company and when I was getting something replaced I was told I couldn't get something matched when using replacement vouchers. I couldn't find anything that said for sure that you could use it with the vouchers, but I looked on Compass and in the list of exclusions for the price match it didn't say that replacement vouchers were excluded. Did you find something that actually said the Price Promise can be used with replacement vouchers? If so, I would be interested to know where! I just gave up on it and replaced the item in the end because I couldn't be bothered messing around with it. For the record, this was after than taking twice the time it stated on my agreement to write off the item. I had one of the old WEH where the allowed repair time is 21 days before you can request a write off, but they had it just over 6 weeks before I managed to get my vouchers. Absolute shambles!

Thanks,

Alex.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late but I had £450 worth of vouchers from Currys, I asked them to price match ( their tv was £799, richer sounds was £649). The woman serving me wasn't happy at all but did process it in the end, she did ring richer sounds to check they had a tv in stock which I knew they did as I rang them earlier. So I had a new, better tv (my old one was 30 months old with no warranty) for £200 , happy days.

they have suggested that this TV as a replacement and have given you enough in a voucher to buy that TV wether it be 2499 or 1299, if currys had it as 1299 you would have been given a voucher for 1299 and thats it. the vouchers are issued based on their pricing to replace your TV and thats it.