Barclays Closed My Account Days After Opening - No Reason Why

StudentInTrouble
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

In October this year I started my first graduate job - good salary etc, all of which would be paid into the Barclays account I opened. I went for one of their £5 a month accounts and was accepted in the credit check no problem (although I do have a less than perfect credit file but no fraud flags on CIFAS or anything, I check regularly). Within a few days I had my card, cheque book, online and telephone banking details.

I got my first pay cheque from work (over £4000!) and took it into the branch to put it in my account. On my way out I decided to change the PIN number on my new card. The card was swallowed up.

After hours of calling numbers and being told my account was fine, my account was closed etc I went into the branch.

Safe to say I was treated like a TERRORIST. The Personal Banker put a black thing on the screen so it couldnt be read from where I was sitting.

After she whispered with her colleague, and spoke to her supervisor through the back, she returned with the cheques I'd lodged just hours before, saying that she didnt want me to get into trouble financially, so they were returning my cheques.

It was then I was told that Barclays had closed my account, the decision was irreversible and that I would not be able to hold any account with Barclays bank.....

Obviously this has never happened to me before. I currently bank with Halifax (basic account only) and have done for about 7 years. The only reason I went to Barclays was for a better account with a better debit card etc which they gave me.

I am extremely worried as to what information they have taken into consideration when opening this account, and then closing it....

This isn't the first time I have read about someone having this problem with Barclays. I don't care to know their criteria, I care to know what information they have on me that has led them to decide to shut my account. Safe to say I am worried sick about it.

Any help that can be offered will be appreciated 10000%. Happy to discuss any other details necessary if this helps with peoples' advice.

Cheers.

Hi Student,

You're not the only one to encounter such probs. See this thread which was started just a few days back - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?288582-Opened-an-account-with-Barclays-...-poof

Luckily, you don't have to rely solely on Barclays as you have the Halifax a/c.

If you have checked your credit reference files recently and nothing bad has shown up, I suggest you concentrate on building your credit reputation with Halifax. When they see decent credits going into the a/c, they may feel more kindly disposed to offering you better facilities.

I doubt you'll get any further info from Barclays that's useful to you. So leave them behind and work with Halifax.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

It could be something to do with your history, or perhaps they have confused you with someone else with a similar name or address who's history is bad.

But the problem is that Barclays are not going to tell you why they've dropped you so quickly after accepting you as a customer.

If I thought you would get anything useful from them by sending off an SAR, I'd have recommended that course of action. But I think it'll get you nowhere.

So concentrate on Halifax and maybe take time to speak to a Personal Banker (or their equivalent) so you can build a relationship with someone, with a view to getting better facilities.

I would think they would be happy to offer you decent facilities if they see you paying in £4K on a monthly basis.

Before long, you'll be beating them off with a dirty stick because they want to offer you account upgrades, savings accounts, etc.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)