Bought three boys from pets at home got manage a trois!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well had them a few months now and noticed one was being harassed by the two others. Then one male started to fight with the other and we were told not to worry probably dominance issues etc.....Oh yep dominance alright they were fignting over a little girly:jaw:

My three boys are now but two plus a sexually mature girl and she is well looks like about to birst.

So advice please. I know mistakes happen but Ive read around and the references say all good pet shops when sexing can tell the difference. What do you do when you now from reading sites realise the boys will mate again with her on day of delivery, poor girl:-( and she can be preggers within hours of giving birth. So will need to get another gerbilarium to seperate the girly quick and then will still have to sort the babies.

Dont get me wrong the gerbils are cute but I didnt sign up to this. Can I ask they provide the second cage and help rehome the babies. I know they do a good rehome scheme

If you've had them a few months you'll have one heck of a job proving they're the same gerbils you got from PAH, impossible I'd reckon. They've been in your care and therefore your responsibility for far too long to involve the place you bought them from.

Luckily after a phonecall a second cage is being provided and advice given. These gerbies are not touchy feely ones always been quite nervous so we didnt think to doubt being told they are three boys as in have a look. Luckily pets at home keep a record of what you have bought (they are supposed all same sex from breeder and they double check) and as they are the only store near by to us that sell critters were okay. Also we have other rodents bigger ones all bought from there but as much bigger its obvious as to their sex and we cage them seperately' Gerbies according to sites can have babies from ten days, but its much more normal to have first litter at five to six months and then the production line starts, so as all these time frames are about right, its obvious unless you buy a girl and want to deliberately breed, which some people do, that it is more likely a mistake has happened at the store. Pets at home are happy to take the babies when born and help us rehome them, Ive said happy for them to sell them or rehome them as they came from there.

What I wish I had done after how helpful this store has been in all other aspects of our other pets, was to have rung them first. I rang the head office who told me they would do anything I wanted and the store would help, so they at least have accepted a mistake has happened. Just hope I havnt got the particular store in trouble.

So now the boys will have to look longingly rather than any more trists. Funny enough its quite common for a question to be asked is my gerbil gay on the internet from the behaviour of hormone filled little boys with no female. Thats the only click I had something was wrong when it replied, are you sure they are all boys?

As for the female shes gonna get spoilt rotton by the kids now, apparantly good to give her sunflower seeds etc.......

Bet she'll bite for seperating her from the males:madgrin: Sons fingers not mine:whoo:

Kids on way back apparantly with another gerbil cage and pets at home have gone out of their way to make sure mum and babies will have all they need. Cant do better than that for us, so will contact the head office re my call and say thankyou and praise the store. They reassure us any babies we cant keep they will easily rehome.

We have one depressed male gerbie here, presume hes daddy:lol:

So cages to be put side by side so they can still smell each other as they are obviously bonded. They are so cute we couldnt part with them.

Others on here may laugh, but, have you thought of popping the two boys along to the vets for the snip? I had the same problem but with guinea pigs. Like you I couldn;t part with my little ones, except to extremely good homes, and never for money. But you have got off lightly, my one little mistake in sexing a boy was over 50 baby guinea pigs to feed and nuture! I loved each and every one of them, grew salads in my garden for them, and had a high security flood lit pen built for them, complete with dining area, and rock pool after a nasty visit from old foxy. So, there you go, there's something to be glad about in every situation and your thing to be glad about is you only got a handful of babies!

My vet did me a deal with the snipping of males - he did three for the price of one - seven times! I suppose you can neuter male gerbils can't you?

• 2 weeks later...

Correct. Also what a lovely story about your guinea pigs, they were obviously in the buckingham palace of gardens with a lovely caring owner. Best wishes.

ps. No sign of babies yet but she is big and yes the snip might be considered for the boys, they are missing her so.