Help sick puppy/ sales of goods act - can i get vet bills refunded???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and it was recommended by a friend on mine.

I purhcased a puppy 8 weeks ago which I believe comes under the sale of goods act.

My puppy is sick, vets bills are in the region of £1000 up over (havent added it all up yet), I have asked the breeder to pay for them but she has refused. In addition to this she has refused to give me my kennel club papers, all I have is a signed contract.

My puppy will never be well, the vets believe she has a hereditary disease which is incurable and she will need medications/vitamins/prebiotics to try and improve on her health - but the prognosis is guarded. My puppy was so poorly over the christmas that the vets suggested we consider putting her to sleep.

My puppy was poorly 3 weeks after we purchased her from the breeder and required 24 hour veterinary care including drips/medications etc. Then at 15 weeks she suffered again with the same condition however this time it was worse than the first time and she was in the vets for 2-3 days.

The vets bills are mounting, the breeder will not help financially, and she will required ongoing care for her condition which will be extremely expensive.

Am I able to claim for veterinary costs, any advice on what I need to do next.

thanks

Is it a reputable breeder or a puppy farm type of breeder. What type of dog is it? Not sure if SOGA applies to livestock. At what age was the puppy sold to you and had it had all the necessary puppy type injections like Pavo prior to purchase. You should have been given these papaers on purchase. Unfortunately it seems that a solicitor will be required. We have been down this route a long time ago and it is very complex and you will need the vet on your side. We were reputable breeders for many years and none of our pups were sold without the necessary injections and a clean bill of health.

The breeder normally registers the pups and the papers are sent to the breeder. On purchase these papers are then handed over to the purchaser and the purchaser can then transfer the puppy into their name. Sometimes the breeder or the Kenner Club are a bit late with returning the documents however on purchase legally these documents should be yours as they are part of the contract when buying the puppy. Without them it is virtually impossible to register the puppy. If the puppies were never register then the act of fraud has been committed.

Try phoning the Kennel Club advising you have bought this puppy from a registered breeder and all you want to know if the puppies were registered and if both parents were registered. This should not infringe the Data Protection Act as you are asking about information on the puppies and not the breeder.

I have already informed the kennel club and there is nothing they can do about it - they advised me to contact trading standards which I have already done. The puppy was only 8 weeks only when I bought it and she was poorly 3 weeks after the purchase date. The she was poorly again 4 weeks later but it was much worse than the first episode. The dog is a sharpei, thought I had bought her from a reputible breeder however it now seems otherwise. Prior to buying a puppy from this breeder we questioned the health of the breeding dogs, questioned health of puppys produced and any problems she was aware of from any of the dogs she produced. Basically gave all the right answers, lines were healthy and long living, no problems with any of her puppyies, ancestors had been checked for the disease on death. So just wanted information on where I stand legally.

I assume that kennel club confirmed registration of puppy. Contact Trading Standards on Tuesday for further advice and then give us an update. Do you know if the breeder owned both parents and if they had more than two Sharpai's. This could be relevant as it is not unknown for breeders to use different dogs for breeding but to put a another dog's name on the regsitration papers. We always used an outside male to impregnate our females.

The breeder has lots of dogs not just sharpeis, breeds 4 different types of dog. The bitch was owned by the Breeder and the Sire is coowned with another lady. The KC name of the sire was written correctly on the contract but for some reason the pedigree name of the bitch wasn't given! The Kennel club have confirmed my puppy is registered with them, I have found out the name of the dam's pedigree name but I don't know if that corresponds with the pet name of the bitch. I am at a loss at the moment, just want to give my puppy the best veterinary care but that is going to be so very expensive!

Hi Bailey4

Will try and find some similar posts for you to look at and also a link to Sale of Goods Act. You are covered, do not worry there! You should be able to take this breeder to the Small Claims Court depending on how much you want to claim. £5000 is limit in England and £3500 in Scotland.

Will come back to you.

Gemspan :-)

• 4 months later...