eyeballgod v MBNA (Optima)

eyeballgod
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's a very short letter!

We have taken our client's instructions and they are not prepared to waive the charges incurred and therefore you are liable for the judgment amount of £xxx.

We note that the instalment order hearing is listed for xx where the District judge will determine the instalment amount.

We trust the above clarifies our clients position.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I right in saying the penalty charges are approx £650, the judgement amount £3.5K and their awarded costs about £1.2K.

Based on the sol'rs response, you could ask them why they will not negotiate about the matter of unlawful penalty charges when they know they are unenforceable at law. This leaves you with no option but to start further court action against MBNA whereas, if they negotiated now, there would be no need to trouble the courts with a case regarding the charges.

IMHO, you should bring this to the attention of the judge when you revisit the court for the instalment decision.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

That's about right - the judgement was for about £5000 in total.

OK - will write them another letter.

Given that the judge has already given his judgement, what difference is it likely to make at the instalment hearing?

I take it they have to send a solictor to the hearing?

Given that the judge has already given his judgement, what difference is it likely to make at the instalment hearing? - It may NOT be taken into a/c or make any difference but it's worth a go because you can suggest that you're trying to avoid further use of the court's valuable resources and the bank seems not to care.

I take it they have to send a solictor to the hearing? - They'll arrange representation again, probably a junior barrister.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Sorry to have to disagree slick, but the amount is set by judgment and this is a hearing to determine the rate of payment. The is no aruging the total amount, if the Claimant won't reduce it that is their choice and cannot be forced to negotiate.

This is not another trial and the DJ will not go behind the original judgment IMO.

Hi Ganymeded,

I'm happy for you to disagree if it helps EBG here. :-D

Any suggestions for how to get a reduction re the penalty charges in these circumstances.

:wink:

EBG would have to raise his own claim Slick...there is no way the judgment will or could be reduced its purley to determine the redetermination on payment arrangements...then of course it should have been set a side and defended as another option.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

EBG would have to raise his own claim Slick...there is no way the judgment will or could be reduced its purley to determine the redetermination on payment arrangements...then of course it should have been set a side and defended as another option.

Regards

Andy

Andy beat me to it but as always he is right. The OP would need to bring a seperate claim.

• 4 weeks later...

So the long day wears on.....

The judge would only accept an instalment amount that would pay the debt off within 5 years. Therefore she granted the judgement forthwith with a view to MBNA obtaining a charging order. She said she would be more than happy to grant my offered payments once MBNA had the security.

Felt like a bit of a waste of time today really - surely this could have been dealt with at the initial hearing.

Anyway - any idea's on where I go from here?

I have a horrible feeling MBNA are going to push for the sale of the house, but the judge was quite adamant they wouldn't provided I paid the instalments.

Starting to feel I should be entering these hearing rooms bent over, walking backwards.

What are the implications for my partner in this? They are saying the charging order would be against my half of the property. If I was then unable to pay the installments, how could they sell half the house?

It is my understanding that they can only get a restriction on your percentage of the property - therefore they would have a very hard time trying to dispose of the property if your partner objects.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

April 2003 and onwards

The Land Registration Act 2002 (LRA) and Land Registration Rules 2003 (LRR) introduced significant changes to land registration procedures.

Cautions were no longer to be used.

Instead when a creditor obtained a charging order against a debtor:

If the property was solely owned by the debtor, or all owners of the property were debtors,

for example husband and wife owning the property jointly and being joint debtors,

then an ‘agreed notice’ was to be filed at the Land Registry by the creditor.

Effectively this was almost as good as having a mortgage.

The debtor could not realistically sell the property without repaying the debt to the creditor.

However, if the property was jointly owned by the debtor with other none debtors,

for example husband and wife owning the property and only one of them being the actual debtor,

the creditor was not entitled to enter an agreed notice.

Instead the creditor could only file a ‘restriction’ at the Land Registry in the following terms:

“No disposition of the registered estate is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration

or his conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to [creditor...]

being the person with the benefit of an interim/final charging order on the beneficial interest of [name of... debtor].

”This restriction was, and remains, practically useless.

The effect of the restriction The debtor and his joint owner’s freedom to sell the property is not affected by such a restriction.

They could sell the property as if there was no charging order against the debtor.

All that was required was that the new buyers or their solicitor write to the creditor informing them that they now owned the property

and then confirm to the Land Registry that they had given that notice.

Then the buyers could register the property with no further complications.

The creditor, who is sitting back, waiting to get paid, instead just receives a letter confirming that a sale has already taken place,

typically a week or two after the sale so there is little they can do to get the debt paid.

In theory the creditor could apply for a freezing order against the debtor to try and obtain the cash from the sale proceeds.

However, most creditors will never make such an application:

The cost of applying for such a freezing order would run into thousands of pounds.

The debtor might have spent the cash from the sale of the property before the freezing order was obtained

so there is little, if anything, for the freezing order to bite on.

that is the difference between a charging Order versus a restriction post 2003

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for that. So why are the Judge and the Solictor saying they are going to grant a Charging order on the part of the property I own?

What do I need to say to these people? I presume I will now be going to a hearing for the charging order, followed by another hearing for instalments.

I think for a start you would need a Witness statement from your partner confirming that they object to the order in that they are not responsible for your debt.. but others will advise on that..

Will try and find some more information for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've been reading up a bit and from what I can gather, it is referred to throughout as a charging order, but in reality a restriction is all that can be placed on the property.

Should we decide to sell it's a matter of telling the solicitor that they need to notify the creditor and by the time that's done it will be too late for them to do anything.

It seems the best I can do with the charging order is to ask for conditions to be applied in my favour.

To be fair, I can't see us selling the house anytime soon - it's more likely to fall down around our ears.

• 11 months later...

As much as I don't want to poke the hornet's nest here, since attending court I've heard nothing whatsoever from the court or the claimant. I've been paying what I can afford since the last judgement. On my credit report there are no judgements recorded, but the amount awarded in court is registered as a defaulted debt.

What's going on here?

Hi EBG,

Perhaps they are content at the moment with the Charging Order.

Perhaps stay quiet and await further developments.

They don't have a charging order as far as I'm aware! I would have been notified in some way if that had happened wouldn't I? Beleive me - I'm staying quiet! As far as I can see, they're happy for me to pay the amount I'm paying.