Carter/freds Thames Water and a Co-op bank loan

ruth101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My o/h recently received letters from Bryan Carters threatening court action and additional solicitors costs if debts to Thames Water and a Co-op bank loan around £650 and 5.5k respectively paid on full within 10 days - time now lapsed by a few days.

We checked yell.com and couldn't find Bryan Carter listed in their home town of Weybridge. A little research on the Internet revealed that Bryan Carter staff/offices are Fredrickson's staff/offices.

Not sure how legal this is, but can anyone point me towards a good reply to fax (Xmas post) Freds and Bryan?

Many thanks

Could do with a lot more info regarding both accounts, but YES you are quite correct in your assumptions, Freds use their puppet solicitor Bryan 'Bloody' Carter to attempt to get people to pay.

As soon as you stick your heels in, and the fool has to do any work in order to obtain a satisfactory outcome, he gives up, and crawls back under the stone where he lives.

Thames Water is relatively easy to deal with as there are a number of ways in which to go about the alleged debt outstanding to them.

CO-OP bank loan of 5.5k is again another relatively easy debt to approach, when was it taken out? Are there any charges added to the amount that can be claimed back? Is there any PPI that can be claimed back, if you feel it was missold? When was the last payment made on the loan?

When was the last bill you received for Thames Water? Why is this disputed or failed to have been paid?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thames Water is relatively easy to deal with as there are a number of ways in which to go about the alleged debt outstanding to them.

Please tell

CO-OP bank loan of 5.5k is again another relatively easy debt to approach, when was it taken out? Are there any charges added to the amount that can be claimed back? Is there any PPI that can be claimed back, if you feel it was missold? When was the last payment made on the loan?

10k loan at 5.1% APR taken out Aug 2007, last payment May 2010. No unfair charges and have never taken out PPI.

When was the last bill you received for Thames Water? Why is this disputed or failed to have been paid?

April 2010, no money

Hi Ruth,

I had Freds and then Carters on my back too. I sent a CCA to Freds which they ignored (nothing new there) so they sent it to Carters who then proceeded to threaten me with court action so I hit Carters with a CPR. He didnt like it and sent the file back to Freds - who then sold it on to another bunch illegitimate morons.

The moral of the story is this - THERE IS NO CCA!!! I know it, the OC knows it, CAG knows it. My 2 years old grandson knows it - in fact EVERYONE knows and understands it - except of course, the inept and useless DCAs and their teenage automated, script-reading staff who are brainwashed into thinking they are so all-important!!

In other words, dont worry about it - but send the usual requests by RC to protect your back because the only thing these morons are any good at is lying and deception.

Merry Crimble.

Thanks Merlin,

Is it ok to fax them or should I send a CCA with £1 postal order? Can I do this for Thames Water and are they chasing on behalf of them or have they bought the debt?

How long does it normally take them to actually resort to court action?

Merry Christmas

OK Ruth, I have only done a very quick search about water/utility bills and found this: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DG_10025592

Have a look around and see if any of it might apply to you and be of any use.

Either way, it is a utility bill and will need paying, whether you set up a payment plan with them or something else, you should contact them and tell them that you are having difficulty paying the bill and ask them for the best way in which to go about paying it.

Did you take the loan out online?

Utility bills are not subject to the CCA as it isn't a credit agreement but a service agreement, so a CCA for Thames water wouldn't apply.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

OK Ruth, I have only done a very quick search about water/utility bills and found this: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DG_10025592

Have a look around and see if any of it might apply to you and be of any use.

Either way, it is a utility bill and will need paying, whether you set up a payment plan with them or something else, you should contact them and tell them that you are having difficulty paying the bill and ask them for the best way in which to go about paying it.

Did you take the loan out online?

Utility bills are not subject to the CCA as it isn't a credit agreement but a service agreement, so a CCA for Thames water wouldn't apply.

Many thanks Boo, I'll fax them today regarding the water rates. So presumably they are chasing on behalf of Thames Water.

Bearing in mind they are also chasing the Co-op loan, would I be better off trying to deal directly with Thames Water or deal with Freds?

The loan WAS taken out online.

Given the date, it is probable that you did an online signature, so may have a CCA. This must be sent by Recorded Delivery with £1 Postal Order. Send it to whomever is chasing at the present time.

Always try and deal directly with the Utility Company.

Are you on Benefits, not being nosey but sometimes fuel bills can be dealt with this way: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DG_10025592

These are the sort of people you will be dealing with!

http://extranet.kingston.ac.uk/careers/detail_vacancies-jobshop.asp?VacancyID=14292

Fredriksons/Carters give up at the first sign of trouble in my experience - I've had dealings with them three times. I have had a lot of experience with DCA's on the phone and can now quickly get them off script and tie them up in knots, but I would never advise anyone else to discuss a debt over the phone.

Having said that I never discus debts with DCAs over the phone - normally the weather, are they happy with their life or do they think I should serve brandy butter or cream with my xmas pud:-D

Keep everything in writing you never know how useful it maybe in the future, plus it slows the whole process down allowing you time to think and plan your next move.

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

Before I contact Thames Water and Freds I need a little advice.

On another forum someone mentioned that Freds purchased their Thames Water debt. Could this be correct? Would a utility company sell a debt? If so, is it still a priority debt? I'm confused.

I will ask for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Apparently yes, Thames water do sell debts on. I am not sure whether it then no longer is a priority debt. Perhaps confirm that with National Debtline or CAB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The outstanding balance represents 2 years water rates and, as I understand it, they cannot restrict water supplies. So it's strange they should sell the debt while continuing to supply me. I'd better check with the National Debtline tomorrow as CitizenB suggests.

I'm not an expert in this area, but we got two years behind with Welsh Water (Dwr Cymru) three years ago and discovered then that they were not allowed to cut us off (don't know if that's still the case). Eventually they wrote to us saying they preumed we'd moved so were going to cut off the supply. I simply wrote back saying we had not moved.

Once we could afford to make a payment I contacted them direct and set up a sensible and affordable repayment arrangement - they were brilliant.

Correct Tingy, the only time they will disconnect the water supply is if there is no one living at the address, after all water is freely available throughout the world, you simply pay for the privilege of it coming to your property, and that it's clean..

I would assume Thames still own it and write and ask them, explaining that you are wanting to arrange a sensible repayment plan directly with them. Hopefully they will be as understanding as Welsh Water were with us! If they no longer own the debt then post back up here or pm me - I have a little thing about that particular DCA at the minute!