style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Have been having a read through and hope someone is able to offer some advice in my case, as well as the great advice I have already got here which has calmed me down a little!

I was away until late Thursday evening (2/12) and when I got back I found a "Notice of Bailiffs Attendance" regarding unpaid Council Tax of £258.74 plus costs, dated 1/12. It said I could make an initial payment of £60 and still pay by instalments. I was at work all day yesterday and had planned to sort it out over the weekend however today, Saturday morning (4/12) they have called again! I was still in bed so didn't answer, but they have put some stuff through my door, which says they can seize my goods, etc. as stated in Liability Order dated 11th June 2010, along with "request to pay by instalments", "payment methods" and some giros! The total stated is:

CLIENT DEBT AND COSTS OUTSTANDING...£258.74

FIRST VISIT FEE........................................£24.50

SECOND VISIT FEE.....................................£18.00

TOTAL.....................................................£301.24

Can't read the signature on this but think it matches the name on the notice dated 1/12, and the guy is certified.

Don't know what to do now! I was going to offer to pay them the initial £60, before the visit today, but didn't realise they would come back again so soon and I haven't really had any time to deal with it! Don't want to seem like I am "playing a card" but I do also suffer from depression & anxiety and my beloved dog died this week, so it is a lot to deal with at the mo. I wouldn't have been able to actually pay anything until at least 14/12 as my rent is due next week and I also have to go away on a business trip (mystery shopping so will be reimbursed) and I barely have enough for this as it is.

A bit more about my circumstances - I live alone in a rented home and have no assets to speak of - no car. I am self-employed and as such my income is variable, but fairly low at the moment. I receive Working Tax Credit and a small amount of Housing Benefit because of my low profits.

I am now unsure of what should be my next step. I feel very worried about this person calling at my property, especially if he is going to do so every few days! as it is just me here and it is quite intimidating. I know what these people are like! As I said, I can't afford to pay a penny until 14/12, but if at all possible I would like to avoid dealing with the bailiffs at all as I don't think they are reasonable people!! I can't really afford to be paying their fees, especially the second visit as they didn't give me adequate time to respond!

Any comments gratefully received and I shall continue reading :)

1. 09/08/2006 - Halifax Account 1 settled in full! £2597.50 :D
  2. 05/10/2006 - Halifax Account 2 settled in full after Prelim ;)
  3. 07/02/2007 - Halifax Accts 1 & 2 further charges - won by default, settled in full
  4. 12/02/2007 - Halifax Account 1 - further charges whilst 3. court claim progressing. Settled in full.
  5. 13/11/2009 - Halifax Account 1 - action begins to fight new overdraft charges

Try to put Rossendales out of your mind for the moment. Pay the council direct via their on-line facility and never pay Rossendales a penny. Their fees so far are perfectly legal, but they are not allowed to charge for any more visits, even if they make them, so those will need paying at some stage. Try to establish a good, steady repayment history with the council (no point talking to them yet as they'll refuse payment and say they can't take the debt back. They can but they lie!) - at least you know your money's going to the right place. If the bailiffs do turn up do ot let them in and do not get into disucssions with them. Start keeping a record of absolutely everything to do with this - phone calls, letters, visits etc....

Following on from Tingy are you sure this what the Council took you to Court for. On Monday you should ring them and ask how much the original LO was for, the period of time it covers and how much is still outstanding. By all means pay the Council via their website or automated phone line - you should be aiming to try and cover what you owe by 31 March next year or you run the risk of trying to pay next years CT as well and could end up in a vicious circle of Liability Orders.

If you go this route you do run the risk of your newest best friend making visits. Whatever happens do not let him in, if you have to speak to him through the letterbox or from an upstairs window. If he can't gain access to levy/seize goods he will give up and hand your case back to the Council who when they realise you are making payments will probably take no further action.

I have to be honest and say this appears to be on of the few cases involving Rottendales where the fees are correct - are they learning something and deciding to things correctly. The Bailiff is usually an expert at lying, cheating, bullying & intimidating. Believe nothing he says particularly his threats to force entry or imprisonment - they are to frighten and pressurise you. You are in a good position to defeat him just it doesn't happen overnight.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yesterday I had good news. I was dealing with Rossendales being extremely unpleasant to a woman in London. We've been fighting together for three months and yesterday the council recalled the debt AND wrote off the bailiffs charges totally.They can be beaten - that was proven again yesterday, you just need to play their game, but better than they do!

Yesterday I had good news. I was dealing with Rossendales being extremely unpleasant to a woman in London. We've been fighting together for three months and yesterday the council recalled the debt AND wrote off the bailiffs charges totally.They can be beaten - that was proven again yesterday, you just need to play their game, but better than they do!

I appreciate off topic with this and apologise. It may be worth asking said Council how many other complaints they have had about Rottendales - use a FOI if necessary. You can up the ante and with Councillors can get their contract annulled.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]