Break in, council won't change lock codes?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I live in a flat with has an entryphone system for only two flats. Last Saturday the flat next door was broken into by former tenants family (she left the property about 18months ago) this was her her brother and dad they were trying to to reclaim property. Anyway I called the police and told them they can't go in there, didn't open my door though and I didn't want these people in my entryway all weekend causing trouble. I know they are dodgy people but I couldn't say much about this to the police, for example I know the dad sells stolen goods including MOT's and the son has a really violent temper and is on cocaine, I have seen him hit people.

They kicked the door down and the dad secured it again beofre they left, they were very angry with me for calling the police. The police found them and didn't press charges. They even let them hand the keys back to the council through the letter box themselves rather than confiscate them.

Anyway I rang the emergency number for the council and they have no way to change the codes for the door downstairs during the weekend. I called monday and spoke to my housing officer and asked for the codes to be changed as I felt in fear and as a single parent it is not how I want to live.

the housing officer has said because they handed the keys back they will not change the door codes!! Now I can't relax at all and jump at every sound as does my daughter. I want to appeal this as they could have more keys, for example I have three sets myself. It isn't doing my nerves any good at all and I need a legal way to pressurise the council quickly to change the codes on the door.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

anyone any idea, I was thinking under human rights act right to private family life

RIGHT TO RESPECT FOR PRIVATE AND FAMILY LIFE 1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

pugsley in reply to your post and in my opinion:

1.Do as you stated,inform the council that you are going to take it to the European Court of Justice as a quasi govermental body that has failed to act and in breach of its obligations to you as a tenant and a law abiding citizen etc.

2.I have done this in the past with someone else to do with a totally different matter.It soon got pepper on the council's tail to do something!

3.By the way,you do not have actually do anything,just threaten to do it in firm but polite manner and in writing to The Big Wig in The Housing Department.Send it by recorded delivery.

4.If I am correct I think you would be entitled to legal aid (which comes from a central fund set up by the EU)regardless of your financial status because no ordinary citizen would be expected to have the means to challenge The Council in

a court of law.For this seek independent advice from a Human Rights solicitor if you actually need to go down this route as I am not 100% of the current rules etc

If you any more have questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

thanks I will do just that

The simplest thing may be on your housing contract - you have a covenant for quiet enjoyment ie you have the right to quietly enjoy the property without outside interference, nuisance, or threat if the landlord can do anything that is reasonable to prevent this as long as it doesn't affect any other tennants he should - point that out to the council.

Hi, I live in a flat with has an entryphone system for only two flats. Last Saturday the flat next door was broken into by former tenants family (she left the property about 18months ago) this was her her brother and dad they were trying to to reclaim property. Anyway I called the police and told them they can't go in there, didn't open my door though and I didn't want these people in my entryway all weekend causing trouble. I know they are dodgy people but I couldn't say much about this to the police, for example I know the dad sells stolen goods including MOT's and the son has a really violent temper and is on cocaine, I have seen him hit people.

They kicked the door down and the dad secured it again beofre they left, they were very angry with me for calling the police. The police found them and didn't press charges. They even let them hand the keys back to the council through the letter box themselves rather than confiscate them.

Anyway I rang the emergency number for the council and they have no way to change the codes for the door downstairs during the weekend. I called monday and spoke to my housing officer and asked for the codes to be changed as I felt in fear and as a single parent it is not how I want to live.

the housing officer has said because they handed the keys back they will not change the door codes!! Now I can't relax at all and jump at every sound as does my daughter. I want to appeal this as they could have more keys, for example I have three sets myself. It isn't doing my nerves any good at all and I need a legal way to pressurise the council quickly to change the codes on the door.

Bit confused - why did they kick the door down and then secure it if they had keys. And what property is in an empty flay after 18 months? Surely thecouncil must ahve4 re let by now?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

the tenant who had moved out that day was related to the former tenant he was her uncle and they did a mutual exchange and he didn't want them to enter the flat after he left (they didn't get on), so he went out the back way and locked the door from the inside, the flat has not been empty. He was worried about them trashing the flat after he had gone.

thanks blacksheep, as I'm the only tenant at the moment changing the codes shouldn't be a problem, that's why I feel so let down. It is a real shame I have to make a fuss though to get even consideration from the council.