MOT Certificates - Who Owns Them?

Wilko58
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I couldn't think of a better title but what I am about to state may astound you and applies to anyone going to buy a car:

Due to a garage withholding an Advisory Notice issued with an MOT carried out 3-days before my partner bought the car I called VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) and what I was told was not something I expected - Apparently, whoever pays for the MOT OWNS the paperwork (the MOT (pass and/or Fail) Certificate and Advisory Notice) and is not legally required to supply any of it to the purchaser of the vehicle to which it relates. :-x

The VOSA also stated that as the MOT process is now electronic the buyer can get all they need from the web. How stupid is this? They basically stated taht the onus is on the buyer to go and check the paperwork on-line before buying the car; ok, it isn't that hard to do for people with access to a PC but to give a garage (or any seller) permission to withhold an important piece of information is ridiculous. I'll be raising this with my MP.

Hope this helps anyone intending to buy a car - check the MOT history on-line before you buy - it's FREE.