college courses whilst on dla/incapacity??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im currently recieving dla and incapacity benefit for psoriatic arthritis and have been put on some drugs which apparently have a great sucess rate to ease the condition, i get high rate mobility on dla...i was wondering how my money would be affected if i did eventually want to start doing a college course? would my money be effected? if so how? would i lose out much? i imagine i would come off incapacity benefit, would i be entitled to anything else?

im currently recieving dla and incapacity benefit for psoriatic arthritis and have been put on some drugs which apparently have a great sucess rate to ease the condition, i get high rate mobility on dla...i was wondering how my money would be affected if i did eventually want to start doing a college course? would my money be effected? if so how? would i lose out much? i imagine i would come off incapacity benefit, would i be entitled to anything else?

Hi I dont know how the improvment through you treatment would effect your DLA but I can tell you that I worked full time before I retired and was in receipt of high rate DLA mobility. Without this I would not have been able to work. When I enquired with DLA regarding this work I was told DLA is avalible to allow you to be mobile or be cared for if it allows you to work and your medical condition is not improved by working then you will continue being entitled as DLA is not means tested.

dpick

• 1 month later...

i have applied for a college course just to get the wheels in motion but i am wondering whether i would have to pay for the course or whether i would get it free as im on benefits? (dla and incapacity).

• 2 weeks later...

if you are on incapacity benifits you'll not have to pay as long as you take proof of your benifit when enrolling,your dla wont be effected too so you'll still get the same money .also you wont have to come off incapacity benifit either due to your condition.i had the same worry earlier this year when i was enrolling to do some classes at night as i say ive been down that road lol !,so dont worry big amzz yal be o.k !hope them pilss work for you and your feeling better soon.

• 8 months later...

I am on incapacity benefit and DLA and i recently applied for an 8 hour weekly college course. I was told that there shouldn't be any problems with my benefits but i received and enrollment letter from the college and in it it says that people on JSA or ESA may need permission from the job centre. Does anybody know anything about this sort of thing that could give me some advice?

Also will i have to pay for this course or will i be entitled to concessions?

I pulled this out of an older thread?

if you are on incapacity benifits you'll not have to pay as long as you take proof of your benifit when enrolling,your dla wont be effected too so you'll still get the same money .also you wont have to come off incapacity benifit either due to your condition.i had the same worry earlier this year when i was enrolling to do some classes at night as i say ive been down that road lol !,so dont worry big amzz yal be o.k !hope them pilss work for you and your feeling better soon.

For 2010/11 the Skills Fund Agency provides funding for a wide range of courses, from healthcare to computer skills and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). If your course is funded by the Skills Funding Agency, you’ll qualify for free tuition if you’re getting:

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Council Tax Benefit

Housing Benefit

Income Support

the ‘Guarantee Credit’ element of Pension Credit

income-related Employment and Support Allowance

Working Tax Credit (as long as your household income is less than £15,276 a year)

You’ll also qualify if you’re not working and you’re financially dependent on someone who gets one of the forms of financial support listed above.

Source - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033130

I get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Also when i spoke to a college adviser on the phone he said something about every adult in the UK is entitled to a free NVQ level 2 qualification?

Edited by Big Amzz