• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help Claims Form Received From Northridge Finance

DeBilde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what information are you still looking for? i thought we had answered your queeries?

I just wanted to know if it was only the date that was defective and the rest of the DN was OK? If, so do I enter this as my defence for a CCJ which I am expecting anytime?

Also, I will SAR them now to see what I can get.

Thanks

No it is just the arrears.

Do I go with the defence if insufficent time to pay and let them prove they sent it 1st class if indeed they did.

Also made several offers of reduced payments, including from CCCS but they have turned them down everytime.

Thanks

The arears is just missed payments.

Did not save the envelope so not sure of the postage, how would they prove it went 1st class?

They terminated the agreement last week and they have passed it to their legal team.

My Credit Rating is not so good missed payments etc... but no defaults as yet (except this one of course)

I don't think I have seen in here when you actually got the letter? If you can remember exactly when it was delivered and if it definitely did not arrive on 4 or 5 Feb then it is your word against theirs as to whether they sent it 1st or 2nd class - assuming they do claim it was 1st class. You got one letter - they send out hundreds - mostly 2nd class in all probability - so who is more likely to remember this specific letter more clearly? Will they bring the post guy who specifically remembers it going out 1st class as a witness?

It also seems to me the best they will get is an order for you to pay what you can afford every month - which is exactly what CCCS was trying to get agreed. I take it it will be dealt with as a Small Claim - so no need to worry regarding legal fees?

If so, I would just let them "bring it on" - and defend on unlawful rescission and see what happens. Now your credit rating is shot you really have nothing to lose.

I would write again to offer an affordable monthly payment - and ensure you log date of letter they send back, date of postmark if any and date of receipt of the reply. That way you have established if they do send anything out 2nd class and cannot therefore swear the DN was definitely sent 1st class.

I also note the DN itself is not dated - just the covering letter. Is this a show stopper?

BD

Do I go with the defence if insufficent time to pay and let them prove they sent it 1st class if indeed they did.

Also made several offers of reduced payments, including from CCCS but they have turned them down everytime.

Thanks

they dont have to "prove" that they sent if first class- they have to sign an affidavit that it was POSTED first class

unless you have the envelope it came in- or from the SAR you find information to suggest it was not sent first class then you are likely to be onto a loser as far as disputing the method of posting is concerned.

your only hope here would be to get them to declare which postal carrier they used since if it was send by a carrier such as UK mail- their first class service is not the same as royal mail first class and possibly the ability of the person signing the affidavit to haevb first hand knowledge of the first class posting

which is why it is important (other caggers) to keep all envelopes no matter how insignificant the contents- as they can build up to show to a judge which carrier the creditor normally uses for its mail delivery

Thanks

i also have the feeling that even if they were able to sue you in court for just the arrears- they would then be "b88gered" for being able to come back to court again for the balance

The DN clearly states (9and is therefore a pre dated termination letter), that if you fail to remedy the arrears then they WILL terminate AND claim the entire balance of the account

the proposition therefore that they would only be suing you for the arrears- is poppycock

The DN clearly states (9and is therefore a pre dated termination letter), that if you fail to remedy the arrears then they WILL terminate AND claim the entire balance of the account

the proposition therefore that they would only be suing you for the arrears- is poppycock

Sorry, what does this mean?

If the letter was sent 1st class and arrived on the 4th (Friday) the 14 clear days start on the 6th meaning payment must be received on or before the 20th (Saturday). I have just discovered that their offices are only open Monday to Friday including the department that payments would be made to.

How does this info stand up?

If the letter was sent 1st class and arrived on the 4th (Friday) the 14 clear days start on the 6th meaning payment must be received on or before the 20th (Saturday). I have just discovered that their offices are only open Monday to Friday including the department that payments would be made to.

How does this info stand up?

it makes no difference

you have 14 clear (running) days starting the day after service to remedy the default

the fact that weekends are included are not relevant

it makes no difference

you have 14 clear (running) days starting the day after service to remedy the default

the fact that weekends are included are not relevant

Even if you could not make payment on that day?

I really need to have a hunt for the envelope it came in.

Thanks

it means that their suggestion that they will ONLY be suing you for the arrears is a sham

Does this work to my advantage then? How would I use this in my defence etc....

Thanks again for everyones help and advice

DB - If you tell us who the creditor is then perhaps other CAGGERS can give info as to whether they got DN's from them sent out 1st or 2nd class. This might help as the "balance of probability" is that they sent yours out the same way.

DD - The DN has no date - just the accompanying letter. Is this not a missing prescribed term?

BD

well their POC will include the full balance of the account which would include sums not yet due under the agreement which they cannot claim if they have not served an EFFECTIVE default notice

if they have unlawfully terminated the agreement they have no cause of action to claim these sums

if you have accepted the unlawful rescission they cannot now serve the required DN since there is no longer an agreement to serve it against

well their POC will include the full balance of the account which would include sums not yet due under the agreement which they cannot claim if they have not served an EFFECTIVE default notice

if they have unlawfully terminated the agreement they have no cause of action to claim these sums

if you have accepted the unlawful rescission they cannot now serve the required DN since there is no longer an agreement to serve it against

Sorry, I am not sure what this means. They terminated the agreement last week, I had a letter from them confirming this and it has been passed to their legal team.

ok, this is getting a bit messy so lets tidy things up

the default notice is 100% DEFECTIVE as you have posted it- it is not headed that it is issued under s87(1) of the consumer

credit act

It is therefore nothing more than a "letter" from them and certainly not a valid Default Notice

so , assuming you have not blanked that text out- game over- dates are immaterial

Sorry that bit is missing from my image not sure why but it is on the letter regarding Section 87 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Also on page two it states the following:

"This notice should include a copy of the current Office of Fair Trading information sheet on default. This contains

important information about your rights and where to go for support and advice. If it is not included, you should contact

us to get one.".

Sorry about that, not sure why it did not display it all. Apart from that it is all there on the image posted.

ok now it is down to dates

IF posted first class the time for remedy is good

if posted second class it is defective and thus they have unlawfully terminated

I suggest you try and find the envelope and/or get a SAR request off to them in the post like NOW

£10 fee

SIGN IN (don't bugger about with arguments about not signing it)

use the template letter from the templates section

send it recorded delivery