Struggling to find a decent GP.

The Chez
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've lived in this area for about 5 years now, and the first GP I signed up with was totaly useless, they would make you wait 3 weeks for an appointment, no matter how urgent you told them it was, and if they fitted you in as an extra, you were treated like **** by the reception staff and the doctors.

I moved to another surgery about a year ago, and the first impressions were very good. The surgery seemed friendly, and busy, in a good way, appointments are easy to make and always available etc. However, I find the doctors very hard to talk to, they don't seem to grasp any of the issues I've seen them about, and their surgery wide policy seems to be to push sell SSRI antidepressant medications for EVERY ailment, mainly Citalapram and Prozac, these are the two they're pushing at me for physical health issues. I've been offered these drugs for everything from period cramps to insomnia. I find this practice pretty irresponsable for doctors, who are supposed to have a varied knowledge of medicines and what's best for what condition, not push one drug as a cure all, and if they cannot treat the problem, they should have a responsability to reffer to someone who can. That reminds me of Victorian times when they thought a bit of sage & sugar could cure everything from colds to plague!

I know these meds can be helpful to some people with mental health problems, or for temporary relief of mild/moderate depression, which is what they should be prescribed for, but I think handing them out for pain and sleeping problems is downright irresponsable, and a misuse of these drugs.

I went to see a GP here after I had had about 3 weeks of poor sleep, as I figured I might have something underlying, a hidden infection or breathing problem etc that might need investigating. I certainly did not want sleeping pills, but I would not have ruled out trying them if the GP thought they might help in the very short term, to releive the 3 weeks of sleepless nights I had had.

The GP did not ask me any questions, any lifestyle questions about how much I drink, if I smoke, which I don't, or if I had been feeling unwell, all they told me was, in a pretty stern way, 'YOU'RE NOT HAVING ANY SLEEPING PILLS' and after that all they wanted was me out of the office. It was as if I'd just told him I wanted 20 Valiums to flog to kids on the end of the street or abuse. I don't have any history of abusing medications, or alcohol, I was pretty shocked and upset by this. This doctor was in a high position too, I'm not saying what because I don't want to be identified, but they were more important than most of the GP's there.

I honestly don't know how you find a GP who will listen, and treat according to the problem you present and not out of some manager's handbook. A doctor who actualy wants to help you instead of get you on the latest wonder pill, pocket the drug company bonus for prescribing it, and let you be. I can't get a refferal to a gynecologist for further investigation my menstrual pain & PMS problems because I refused to take Citalapram for it, so I'm classed as refusing treatment and being uncooperative, a treatment I have reacted very badly to in the past (Prozac) the two are simlar drugs.

I'm in Mansfield, which I think comes under Nottinghamshire PCT, I would be willing to travel within a bus ride distance to see a GP if I had to, but I don't even know where to start trying to find one that's any good. If anyone knows of anyone in this area, please let me know!