College and Benefits

Jedwood
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am a 25 year old single male receiving Income Support and the low-rate DLA component ("for help with getting around").

I have an anxiety condition which causes me difficulty with travelling and being comfortable in public. It is a disability that can only really be overcome by learning to cope with that which causes the fear, and to this end I am continuing to make gradual progress. I am now at the point that attending a course at my nearby college, with a bit of extra support from staff, is seeming a difficult-but-doable possiblity.

Part of me is desperate to take the plunge and chance the path to a normal life, but I am worried how this would effect my benefits. (I know the obvious option is to contact the DWP/JC, but I'm worried they will incorrectly take it that I am fit for work and review my benefits entitlement).

The course I am looking at is meant for mature students returning to education and is averagely around 12 hours per week, but states 'maximum of 16 hours' and is classed by the college as full-time. Would this exclude me from receiving IS? I am worried that my benefits would be revoked as in this case I would have zero income, and with my condition there is no way I could manage college plus a job - I'm not certain I could cope even with college, but I need to try.

hi Jedwood,

A part time course of under sixteen hours should not effect your IB and IS claim at all.

You would have to notify both benefit sections that you are doing the course and if IB decides that it is acceptable, which they should then IS will continue to pay the benefit as long as you satisfy the condition of entitlement, eg IB claim is fine and you have med certs

If the course you are taking attracts a grant then this would be taken into account against your IS, you may still qualify is though, if there no grant then you will get full IS

If there is a grant and you dont take it, say for example to save getting into debt then unfortuantely the grant will be assumed and taken into account as notional income

by S

Its great that you are thinking of doing this and I dont think your benefit will be affected at all, but to check it out just ring the contact centre and they should confirm the above.

I hope you decide to take the course and I wish you well. :)

Hi all,

I am a 25 year old single male receiving Income Support and the low-rate DLA component ("for help with getting around").

I have an anxiety condition which causes me difficulty with travelling and being comfortable in public. It is a disability that can only really be overcome by learning to cope with that which causes the fear, and to this end I am continuing to make gradual progress. I am now at the point that attending a course at my nearby college, with a bit of extra support from staff, is seeming a difficult-but-doable possiblity.

Part of me is desperate to take the plunge and chance the path to a normal life, but I am worried how this would effect my benefits. (I know the obvious option is to contact the DWP/JC, but I'm worried they will incorrectly take it that I am fit for work and review my benefits entitlement).

The course I am looking at is meant for mature students returning to education and is averagely around 12 hours per week, but states 'maximum of 16 hours' and is classed by the college as full-time. Would this exclude me from receiving IS? I am worried that my benefits would be revoked as in this case I would have zero income, and with my condition there is no way I could manage college plus a job - I'm not certain I could cope even with college, but I need to try.

You won't have problem with part time courses I took a few of them after I had my second child whilst receiving Income Support and had no problems at all I even did a full time course that was back in the 1990s though I am not sure how things stand nowadays.