Car towed away from my personal car park.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a private housing association and have a private car park for which i had to pay an additional £5000. On top of that i had to buy a resident's permit which is valid for a year. I have been parking in the same parking space for almost 5 years. Today my car was towed away as the resident's permit which was displayed on the bottom of windscreen, on the dashboard. They told me that the permit is not displayed properly, hence towed away. I had to pay £250. Is there a way i can appeal against this? I have also observed that on the permit which was issued by the same car parking enforcement company, does not have my car registration number printed correctly? can this issue be raised? Please advise?

Hi and welcome to CAG.

My first question is hwo towed your car and are they licenced? If not then it is a police matter as your car was 'taken without the owner's consent'.

Second question is; are there any signs displayed? Again if not, it's a police matter. My third question is who employs the parking enforcement company and who do you buy the permit from? If it's from the company themselves then they could be in breach of contract.

In any event, I wouldn't of paid them £250 if you have already paid £5000 for the space AND had to purchase a permit. Something wrong there in the first place!

I would write to the company which you paid the money to and demand they refund you your money or you will commence legal proceedings.

But do clarify the point I have raised which may help in advising you further.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Look up "the right to peaceful enjoyment". You will end up suing the towing company and the managing agents if they don't cough up of their own volition - and they probably won't as its a money making exercise.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

My first question is hwo towed your car and are they licenced? If not then it is a police matter as your car was 'taken without the owner's consent'.

Second question is; are there any signs displayed? Again if not, it's a police matter. My third question is who employs the parking enforcement company and who do you buy the permit from? If it's from the company themselves then they could be in breach of contract.

In any event, I wouldn't of paid them £250 if you have already paid £5000 for the space AND had to purchase a permit. Something wrong there in the first place!

I would write to the company which you paid the money to and demand they refund you your money or you will commence legal proceedings.

But do clarify the point I have raised which may help in advising you further.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks for your advice. Yes, it is a registered company and have a proper website. They are sub-contracted by th housing association to enforce visitors parking in owners designated parking bays as that used to be abig problem. So the association decided to get this company involved. They have the signs displayed every where.

We were informed that £5000 was only paid for the land and it does not cover parking on that space. I know it sounds abit weird but that's what they told the residents.

The only problem is that they could only see 75% of the permit and the rest of it was in the area where the dashboard and windscreen join. They told me that this is classified as not being displayed properly and hence is in breach of the policy.

I am writing a letter to appeal but it sounds that they can exploit on this angle, though they know that i own the parking spaceand have been parking there for some time. I am really gutted at paying £250. :-(

Look up "the right to peaceful enjoyment". You will end up suing the towing company and the managing agents if they don't cough up of their own volition - and they probably won't as its a money making exercise.

Thanks for the adice Lamma1

Now you are starting to see the problems when these clamping firms are employed. The only way they make any money is by finding some kind of "violation", so they look very, very hard to make certain that they find something. If you had the permit permanently etched into the windscreen they would still find something wrong with it :rolleyes:

Get together with your neighbours and get rid of them, or you'll have plenty more of this in the future :(

You paid 5k for your own piece of land that fits a car ? thats a parking space ! or anything else you want it to be subject to any weird conditions in the document. as the above we need to know what the paperwork says - verbatim.