Christians Against Poverty - CAP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, does anyone have any experience of using CAP to help negotiate with their lenders?

I've tried the search function and couldn't find any mention of them so apologies if they've been covered elsewhere.

Look forward to hearing anyone's experiences.

I'm sure you've looked this up already, but just in case UK's leading Christian debt counselling charity / Christians Against Poverty - UK

The founder of CAP, John Kirkby, wrote a book entitled 'Nevertheless' about his experiences of debt and why he set up the organisation. I have just started reading it at the moment!

Mozzone

Taking on the bloodsuckers

• 3 weeks later...

By way of an update if anyone's interested, CAP operate a postcode lottery policy and refuse to see families that live outside of the postcodes of their centres. I had a friend who was turned away by them the other week because he was 7 miles outside of the nearest CAP centre's postcode. he even offered to meet them at their centre so they didn't have to come out to him. They still wouldn't budge. Perhaps they should just drop the 'C' in their title.

Edited by Mozz1
edit

Mozzone

• 2 years later...

The founder of CAP, John Kirkby, wrote a book entitled 'Nevertheless' about his experiences of debt and why he set up the organisation. I have just started reading it at the moment! this book Will be the best you read

The founder of CAP, John Kirkby, wrote a book entitled 'Nevertheless' about his experiences of debt and why he set up the organisation. I have just started reading it at the moment!
this book Will be the best you read

Actually I was given the book by my parents and read it. That was how I knew about CAP and why i approachd them.. Made being let down by them even worse. Post code lotteries should not apply to 'Christian' organisations.

Mozzone

• 1 year later...

Hi Mozz1,

I am really sorry to hear that your friend was not able to be helped by a centre in his postcode area. CAP operate through local churches who are trained to run debt centres and depending on the volunteers available (where there is an established centre), the church run debt centre decides the post code areas that they are able to provide a service for. They may not have had a place where your friend to go meet up with one of the centre staff. CAP would have sent out a self help pack with lots of useful information and letter templates to your friend as he did not have a centre close by. Unfortunately, as volunteers are few, debt centres are spread out nationally and the demand is huge, this sometimes happens. If you would like to send me some contact details for your friend to my email I will be happy to chat through his case and contact the head office and see what we can do to help.

Fluff I do hope Moz is not still searching for help two years down the track!

I too read "Nevertheless". It very nearly led me to convert to Humanism.

Still, chacun a' son gout.