Should i get half?

fiyah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lo peeps,

this time last year my partner (now ex) were given £700 as a gift from his mother towards a holiday (she had won some money at bingo or something).....we were both living together as a couple and had been for the past 10 years.

In April this year we split up, my ex has now said that this money was meant to be for us (as a couple) and i have no claim to it as were no longer together. Hes taking great pleasure in telling me hes going away for 2 weeks in August on hoiday.

Yes the easy thing for me to do would be to make a clean break and forget about the money, but surely half of that money is mine?!?

Hes also taken a large TV that his mum bought for us, a dishwasher (which was bought for us as a xmas present) and, believe it or not, a bed which was bought 10 years ago when we fist moved in together because she "bought it for US and were no longer together"

All seems kinda petty to me but him and his mum do make a nice couple :)

Surely if something is given to a couple as a gift, and then one of the couple takes it the other part of the couple should be reimbursed (less any depreciation in value)

It is probably easier to forget it and not lower yourself to his pettyness. To be honest if the money was from his mother and as you are now split, it does sound unreasonable to expect some of it. As it appears his mum bought a lot of the items, it would seem acceptable to me for him to keep them.

Clean break, mends quicker xxx

Do take ll's advice here.

It's not fair, but you'll get nowhere with this argument. If you try to challenge it legally you'll run up more in lawyers' fees than the items/half of the £700 are worth.

If the gifts had come from an unconnected third party you would be right and could claim half their value and he wouldn't just be able to take what he wanted but, and this is a very big BUT, they came from his mum and she will obviously say they were gifts to him.

Very unfair, but sadly you'd be better off letting it go.

DDxx

As others have said - use it, or lose it. If circumstances change then any benefit chanhes also. It's no different than boyfriend/girlfriend disputes regarding days or holidays away. If it goes pear shaped, it helps to have 'mad money' to get you back unaided. This isn't much different, at least here, you werent stranded abroad.

Ah well guess im gonna have to make do with no telly,no bed and no holiday this year..................just wish the idiot would stop going round the house when im not there (gonna have to get the locks changed i guess) he swears he hasnt got another set of keys and gave me his back.

Im lying awake at night wondering if my house which is 150 miles away is ok...............ive moved in with my sister in the midlands to get away from him and try to get my house in some sort of order to sell (replacing 2 doors he kicked in and the such like)

I dread going back up there to bring more stuff down cos i never know what im going to find there...............back door was left wide open last time and i hadnt been there for 3 days and previous to that the sink had been blocked with something and a tap left slightly running to cause it to overflow.

He just makes me so mad that ive worked hard for the past 10 years to get a nice home and he just tries to wreck it all by being a selfish SOB...............i keep telling myself NOT to go to his level (could go round and tell his beloved mother hes a pill popping,weed smoking,woman beating @rse....but i dont)

Dont spose anyone has a rought idea how much it is to change 2 locks do they? lol

It's very tough, but you must distance yourself from this lowlife.

I don't know how much it would cost to change the locks and it probably changes from region to region, but I would say this should be one of your top priorities, and you should get it done asap. In the meantime, is there a friend or neighbour who can keep an eye on things for you?

Join your local freecycle and you should be able to find a bed and a telly. Otherwise there are bargains on ebay or gumtree.

There is a cagcycle thread here too, but I can't remember what it's called.

Dont spose anyone has a rought idea how much it is to change 2 locks do they? lol

do you home insrance, if so contact them they may change the locks for you. if not it may be an easy DIY job. if you need to get someone in ring round and get a few quotes dont go for the first name in the yellow pages.

have the police been involved (no? involve them) I think this may count as domestic abuse ask them to intervean and place an harrasment notice on him.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.