Fraudulent Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice.

A year ago I was reversing out of a parking space at the same time another car was reversing, we collided with one another. We both exited the vehicles, upon inspection we both had broken tail lights. We both agreed at the time we both had near enough identical damage and it was not enough to warrant paying the excess on a claim. As a matter of course we exchanged details.

A month ago I received a letter from my insurance company stating that they had received a claim from the other parties insurance company and could I provide details. I spoke to them, they thought it was dubious that an incident from a year previous was now being claimed and suggested that in the interim the car has received further damage and using my details to cover this. Anyhow I provided details, drew a diagram and relayed the conversation I had with the claimant at the time.

Since then I have heard nothing and assumed it had gone away. Today I received a letter from a solictors claiming that I was liable for the damage at 750GBP and that I was not to contact the claimant or the insurance and that I was to settle the amount within 7 days.

There is not a breakdown of how they have arrived at this cost and also the claimant is now saying that they we stationary, which is completely untrue.

Would someone be kind enough to advise how I should handle this what my rights are? Surely this is my word against theirs at best, also is this not what insurance companies are for?

Thanks

Since then I have heard nothing and assumed it had gone away. Today I received a letter from a solictors claiming that I was liable for the damage at 750GBP and that I was not to contact the claimant or the insurance and that I was to settle the amount within 7 days.

Would someone be kind enough to advise how I should handle this what my rights are? Surely this is my word against theirs at best, also is this not what insurance companies are for?

Thanks

Of course you should refer it to your insurance company. That is exactly what they are there for.

I agree with Crem. Also from your post, your insurer's allready appear to be suspicious of the TP's claim.

Pass the letter on to your insurance company and let them deal with it. Respond to the letter simply by saying; 'I acknowledge reciept of your letter which I have passed onto my insurer's who will be dealing with this matter on my behalf.'

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.