Changing logbook into non drivers name

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the logbook for my vehicle from my name into someone who cannot drive (never had a licence) reason i ask is because a few years back this vehicle was purchased for me as a gift when my mother retired and was given redundancy money.

Reason i ask is becuase i am currently in financial difficulty and the only thing i have which is worth money is the vehicle, so dont want the bailiffs etc (hopefully it wont come to that) taking the car to sell.

Thanks

There is no legal requirement AFAIK for the Registered Keeper to be a driver, however, the RK is not necessarily the owner and if teh bailiffs come looking for your stuff, then as far as they will be concerned you will still be the owner of the vehicle unless you can prove to their satisfaction that you are not.

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the logbook for my vehicle from my name into someone who cannot drive (never had a licence) reason i ask is because a few years back this vehicle was purchased for me as a gift when my mother retired and was given redundancy money.

Reason i ask is becuase i am currently in financial difficulty and the only thing i have which is worth money is the vehicle, so dont want the bailiffs etc (hopefully it wont come to that) taking the car to sell.

Thanks

Yes you can do it--- the logbook will show who the owner is so thay will not be able to take the car for the debt -----

that is correct...

you can leave your name on the logbook as the registered keeper, and claim that the car isn't owned by you and that means that it's not an asset of yours and can't be taken away...

of course the bailiffs could try to prove that it is. but I doubt that they'd go to the trouble of this.

From what I have heard, the bailiffs will just take it, and the burden of proving that you do not own it will fall on you.

That could be tricky, especially if you do not live at the same address as the person you are claiming owns it. It can be done, for instance if the true owner has no driving licence and the car is used for the true owners benefit - but your chances are not good if you are using the car for yourself every day. The bailiffs are likely to say that the car has obviously been a gift to you in that situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to my inurance company this morning, and they said if the car doesn't belong to me (not in my name) they cant insure me and my policy doesn't run out for a few months yet.

Does anyone know how else i can get to keep the car if the worse comes to the worse ? I never purchased the car my parents did but as neither of them drive the car and receipt from when purchased had to go in my name.

Pay the bailiffs! No seriously if the bailiff or anyone else is after you contact them and offer them a reasonable and proportional amount that you can demonstrate you can afford. Do the same with all your credits and they will not bother with send round the bailiffs (well its unlikely)

If things are that bad then get advise from CAB or one of the free charity services. If you went bankrupt and the car was worth more than £1500 it would have to go so you cant just do that.

The right thing to do is own up to your responsibilties and make an arrangement to pay

I spoke to my inurance company this morning, and they said if the car doesn't belong to me (not in my name) they cant insure me and my policy doesn't run out for a few months yet.

Does anyone know how else i can get to keep the car if the worse comes to the worse ? I never purchased the car my parents did but as neither of them drive the car and receipt from when purchased had to go in my name.

They are correct, you can't insure what isn't yours.

you'd need to get your parents to insure the car with you as a named driver.

you may be able to ask for third party only insurance as that's not insuring the car, that's insuring the public against your actions.

Thanks for the reply,

It hasn't gone to bailiffs yet and not sure if it will, i have just started a DMP with CCCS, but they are paying £1 a month on a £3900 debt !!

I did have an agreement in place direct with them where they froze the interest and i was paying £20 a month, but recently that wasn't good enough and they weren't willing to accept this anymore and have started charging interest.

If it wasn't for driving to collect my child every other fortnight (court ordered that i collect and drop off) then the car could go