Australian Debt chased by UK DCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Ok here's the situation. A friend built up some credit card debt whilst living over in Australia in 2008/09 (about $5000). The account was fine when they came back over here but due to unemployment etc they fell behind with payments and the account defaulted toward the end of last year.

Since then the debt has been chased by Mason Black lawyers in Sydney. This culminated in a letter asking to pay within 5 days or the debt would be taken to court and then today a letter received offering a comprimise of $2500, but threatening to sell the debt onto a uk dca if unpaid.

So I can assume they have no power to take this to court, else they would have done already? Can anyone confirm if they can sell this on to a UK dca? From what I read do they have to have a CCJ already issued in Australia against the debt?

I've looked round the forum already but most of the threads seems to be with UK debt sold to Australian companies.. any advice would be much appreciated!

Reading between the lines if they are offering a 50% reduction they either feel that it is not enforceable or that it's not financially viable to pursue through the legal system.

Personally I would do nothing for now, just wait for them to sell it on to a mug UK DCA, because if they do a UK DCA would have to pursue using UK law and this alleged debt will then be covered by CCA 1974 which will prove interesting.

• Haha 1