Logbook loans sold car but still want £2000!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Got in a right mess with Logbook Loans. Basically they lent me £700, I made payments for around a year, totalling around £1000. I then lost my job and missed about 4 payments. Logbook loans have charged me £12 a time for ringing a mobile number I no longer have plus other charges totalling £800. They have recently sold the car for £400 at auction but still want nearly £2000 off me.

I realise the car has gone but really dont want to pay them another penny. What would be the best way to tackle this one?

Any advice would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what I would do personally is next time they write or call for the balance tell them that the loan was secured on the car, and tell them to come and take it. they will obviously tell you they've already done that. Your next line should be along the lines of "Go **** yourselves then!!!. The loan was secured on the car… you took the car therefore you have what the loan was secured on…. end of".

I would also end on something like "Look, when i get back from my 2 month holiday in the Maldives, ill be contacting my solicitor about all this. I'll send you a postcard. BON VOYAGE!!!"

Basically play with them. Im not sure if they can persue you for the balance, but if you haven't got it they cant have it. They've taken the only thing of any value to them, and are now trying the usual bully boy tactics to scare you into paying what you cant afford.

Tell them to go jump.

I would!

UKD

• 1 month later...

Hi

To be more specific and add to UK developer post.....

Check your bill of sale - check to see if there is a clause that says words to the effect of 'if we take the car - we will terminate the agreement'

If they want the money - then they must take you to court - when you get there - let the judge know the agreement ended when they took the car and point out the clause in the bill of sale : )

If they overcome that - then check the DN (default notice) if it has been served incorrectly - then they open a huge can of worms : )

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Hi again, just a quick update.

I've written to logbook with an income and expenditure sheet which basically shows more going out than I've got coming in and offered them a token payment. They replied saying they wanted £120 a month.

I've now written back saying take me to court, they've now passed it to Adams, Spencer and Phillips who are sending me letters and I've told them the same thing.

I've looked through the Bill of Sale and I found an interesting line about them adding on 'Reasonable Costs', to date the total charges for letters, phone calls and removal of the car is over £850. I would obviously deny that these are reasonable.

They sent an up to date statement yesterday which has been filed with the other paperwork and I'm just going to ignore them now until I receive something with a court stamp on it.

Hi Stella, as I'm not paying them a penny at the moment it seems a bit pointless claiming back the charges. If they do decide to take me to court then obviously I would counter claim the charges and offer a token payment for the balance. If and when it comes to that I will be asking for help..........

Hi Stella, as I'm not paying them a penny at the moment it seems a bit pointless claiming back the charges. If they do decide to take me to court then obviously I would counter claim the charges and offer a token payment for the balance. If and when it comes to that I will be asking for help..........

Ok mate, you seem to know what you are doing.

But remember, they'll owe you money :D

Also, quick point, never counter-claim, you have to pay for that, use your right to 'set off' ;-)

Jogs