DFS changed terms without telling us!

mailmannz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

guys,

Some advice here please.

Start of the year wife and I went down to DFS to get a new sofa taking advantage of their 1 year payment free and 4 years 0% interest.

First off we put the sofa in the wifes name but as she wasnt in full time employment (relief teaching) DFS declined her application to get the sofa. So I went in, changed everything to my name and everything went through.

Sofa then gets delivered in March BUT the first payment was taken last week, which of course was in an HSBC account that I dont use (as I didnt have my other account details on me when filling out the paper work)! I was surprised to see the payment being taken because wife and I had taken out the 1 year payment free option.

So I called DFS this morning and they said they changed the agreement to 3 years interest free with first payment due 1 month after delivery because that would more likely result in our credit application being accepted!!!

This was news to me, but when I checked the paper work it did indeed say the duration was 36 months and there was no start date in the "commence on" field!

However, this is not what we requested nor instructed DFS to apply for and at no point did they ever point out that they were changing our application to 36 months with first payment 1 month after delivery!

When I spoke to DFS this morning they said we would have to come back in to the shop in Peterborough (we live in Huntingdon) and apply again for the 1 year payment free option and that it might get declined if thats how the credit agency feels!

So...apart from us checking the paper work more thoroughly on the get go (even though we did check it BUT saw what we thought we were asking for in the terms), what do you guys think we should do?

Regards

Mailman

Guest Old_andrew2018

it does serve as a warning to read the small print, as you say might still get the first year payment free option, however it could damage your credit file.

The thing that got me was the sales rep who served us knew what I was talking about when I called! She was quite upfront about changing the terms because thats what was more likely to get through...even though my wife and I TOLD her we wanted the 1 year payment free option!

we didnt bother going on yesterday and instead will write a letter to DFS and the credit company telling them this is in dispute.

Mailman

So had a call from the area manager today...seems it was all a misunderstanding???

DFS will contact the credit agency and advise them this was 1 year payment free with the balance due over the next three years. He accepted it was their mistake leaving the start date off the agreement etc.

Good news...grateful the manager called...all is well in the world!

Regards

Mailman