boss being really bossy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need advice please, i am a supervisor and work 23 hrs a week to which i am contracted to . I never find out until a friday what days i am going to be working the following week. Today my boss asked me if i have anything planned for next week , i told him apointment on wednesday at 11, he then went off on one and said that i shouldnt be making any arrangements or appointments with out consulting him first as he may need me in work that day. I can never plan ahead even to take my kids places because i never know when i am going to be at work the following week. only day he does keep set is a sunday when i know i am def gonna be in coz he cant be bothered to come into work that day , what rights do i have regarding hours and days at work . should they be set and do i really need to ask his permission before i make plans for my life outside of work.

I need advice please, i am a supervisor and work 23 hrs a week to which i am contracted to . I never find out until a friday what days i am going to be working the following week. Today my boss asked me if i have anything planned for next week , i told him apointment on wednesday at 11, he then went off on one and said that i shouldnt be making any arrangements or appointments with out consulting him first as he may need me in work that day. I can never plan ahead even to take my kids places because i never know when i am going to be at work the following week. only day he does keep set is a sunday when i know i am def gonna be in coz he cant be bothered to come into work that day , what rights do i have regarding hours and days at work . should they be set and do i really need to ask his permission before i make plans for my life outside of work.
oh and also everyone else seems to have there hours set and what days they work and if they fancy a change of shift its me that gets lumbered with this

Hi,

Is there any clause in your contract/statement of employment particulars which could shed light on your query?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi astrachick34

I think your situation actully defeats the reason why you work part-time.

You work part-time so you can look after the kids, but spend more quality time with them. I think the boss thinks your a bit of a pushover. The thing to do might be to raise a greivance. Basically stating that your not happy

with aspects of your employment. The main point of the greivance is

that you want to be able to plan ahead, so the 'Rota' needs to be planned

at least a couple of months ahead. Also mention anything else your not happy with. You also need to mention that you will escalate the matter's if the matters aren't resolved.

The gov. site recommends speaking to your boss informally first.

Raising a grievance at work : Directgov - Employment

Edited by rebel11

OMG sounds like you work for the company i do!

I usually get my rota on a thursday for the following week but never get asked if i have any preferences or appointments, like yourself theres only 1 day im sure im going to be working and thats till midnight every sunday, i only get a weekend off if i book a weeks holiday.......so that works out at 5 weekends off a year.........compared to his 2 a month!

Ive tried talking to my boss and i get the "well you cant work full time AND be a mother, needs of the business come first"

Ive spoken to our area HR people and they say that my rota is down to the store manager and they cant get involved.............hmmm

Ive recently split from my partner aswell so ive requested not to be doing 3 late nights every week and could i have some day shifts as the manager and duty manager always seem to do a couple a week, was told they would look into it.

It seems to me that if your a supervisor your expected to just drop everything when they ask and are there just to do the crap shifts they dont wanna do, i dont have a social life and the last time i saw my son was sunday at 2pm when i dropped him off at my ex partners house whilst i went to work, next time i will see him will be tuesday at 3pm when he finishes school, he goes straight to school from my ex's house so i dont see him in the morning and then ive been at work from 3pm so i dont see him when he finishes school.

Ive lost count how many parents evenings ive missed and ive never been to see my son in a school play as no one will swap shifts with me but im expected to when they ask...........i have started saying no now which really cheeses them off.

Yes it does sound like both of you have a very similar issue with your employers.

What do your contracts of employment say in regards to your working ours and days of work? If you can provide this information we maybe able to help you as your employer may be in breach of contract, if he is making you work different set of hours or days to what it states in your contracts.

Also as for rotas being upto the store manager thats rubbish, the rotas are based on a set company rota policy and must comply with your what your contract states in regards to hours and days of work etc! as a result the store manager will have to comply with such policy when doing the rota. So what HR told you is not technically correct.

Edited by teaboy2

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

OK thats not good then.

Does your company handbook state anything about the weekly rota policy?

If it does then let us know it may be the companys policy to inform you of the following weeks rota a week in advance or even inform you of the monthly rota a month in advance.

if the handbook does say anything like that, then it would mean your manager is in breach of company policy.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.