Can my boss force me to be till trained if i dont want to be?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To explain a little my current job is a customer service assistant evenings. My company is currently restructuring at the moment and as a result they are telling the evening team that i am a part of that we have to be till trained. I dont see the point because the store isnt open when i am working.

To my knowledge there is nothing in my contract that states i may have to work in other areas of the company, and i doubt that my job role is changing because we are understaffed on evenings as it is.

Anyway i dont want to be trained on tills and it isnt the job i applied for when i started there.

Can they force me to do it if i refuse?

If, in your mind, there is no reason for that training, you may want to approach the HR department or your line manager and ask why the training is necessary and what are their intentions once the training is accomplished...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

The intentions of it as far as i am aware is that they want us to be doing more than just the jobs we applied for. I didnt agree to that and i have signed nothing stating otherwise.

If i wanted to work on tills id have applied for a job working on tills. However i did not i applied for an out of hours job merchandising.

I worked in retail for a number of years - I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to be Till Trained!

However, I wouldn't dismiss the idea completely - you say you currently work OoH - so Till Training won't benefit the company. However, if you ever needed to do overtime during the day, this would open up a number of extra shifts, that would be unavailable otherwise.

Your contract may say something along the lines of 'other duties as and when management require' - if part of your shift is during operational hours, they could legitimately ask you to cover tills.

G

Well so maybe you don't have to do this. Are you planning to act on any of the comments you've received here?

I would just comment that in the current climate, it could be to your advantage, as Griffzilla says, and it could look good for you if you're seen to co-operate.

How long have you worked there, by the way?

Edited by honeybee13
clarity.

Illegitimi non carborundum