style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Windows done some auto updates months ago, but they must have been corrupted. I shut down and it says "windows is configuring updates", and every time I reboot, it says the same. They never complete properly. If I try to install new ones now, it gets nearly there and then says "couldn't configure updates, reverting back to what it was".

Every single time. I don't mind, but it takes ages. I tend to just put the computer to sleep now to save time on wake up.

If I remember rightly, it was when Vista service pack 2 was updated. Try to re-install it now and it tells me I already have it installed.

• Haha 1

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

select option to config updates

each update has drop down menu, there an option dont tell me again about this update again, ticking that will stop that trying to update again

No good mate.

When I look at the update history, it is blank. Probably because it has been so long since I last successfully installed an update. I can check for and download updates, but it won't install them fully. This is because the system is still trying to configure updates from months ago. I may have had a virus that has corrupted a certain part of my system, but I can't remember.

I've just tried to search for updates it said Windows encountered an unknown error and cannot search for updates.

Also, when I try to look at previously installed updates, it says no updates have been installed on this computer.:confused:

another usefull util freebe startup.cpl

lets you decide on what runs when PC starts

link and a bit about it , have used it here for many years etc

Mike Lin's Home Page

No need for me to advise on the HT logs as you have everything well in hand, kip, but just wanted to let you know that some time ago I discontinued use of Mike Lin's excellent Startup CPL in favour of Mark Russinovich's Autoruns.

It's a lot more powerful and comprehensive than Startup CPL, and can also be run from a command line if need be.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

My suggestion. Download and install (Edit). It also has free version. AnVir shows you all startup programs and Windows processes, so you’ll find harmful file within one minute. I always use it when I clean my PC. Sorry for the offtopic

Edited by maroondevo52
Removed commercial link