Yellow Box Junction- Code 31 help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Personally I think you are going too deep into it. eg if you say you are "new to the area" they'll have you as not paying full attention as you are busy checking where you are going etc. Just my theory but you seem to state this.

I'd send something more like this.

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: XXXXXXX- I am writing to appeal against this Penalty Charge Notice. I am doing so because there was no contravention of an order or failure to comply with an indication on a sign

In summary, on 20th March 2010, I received a Penalty Charge Notice GTXXXXXX for code 31 describing as Entering and Stopping in a box junction when prohibited, alleged offence occurred on 15th march 2010 at 06:48 hrs. I deny that there was such a contravention.

On the day, I was making west ward journey the destination being Heathrow airport. Long before the Camberwell new road/foxley road/Bolton crescent junction, the traffic was flowing smooth and steadily. There was inadequate signage for both the yellow box and CCTV enforcement which I believe are required by law and there was also inadequate signage for the bus lane.

I was behind a car approaching traffic signal light and we both were moving steadily within lawful speed limits. I continued past the traffic lights as permitted by law and expected the near side lane to be available for me to continue on my journey. Few things to note here:

• The distance of the yellow box junction from the eastward traffic light is a great length particularly with advance cycle box and the pedestrian crossing.

• The T-junction merges at an angle approximately at below 45 degree angle and driving from eastward.

• The design of the complex is such that there is no advance visibility of the yellow box.

• The traffic was moving when I entered the box and was not stationary.

• The Yellow box is not situated on a junction.

• Once through the traffic signal, I continued into the yellow box to clear the junction and avoid causing a hazard. The alternative would have been to proceed into the bus lane which despite being inadequately signed in advance was more immediately apparrent.

So the main reason for my appeal is that I stopped on the yellow box as my exit was prevented by a bus lane that had been given inadequate advance warning. This is not because of the presence of stationary vehicles which is necessary for a contravention.

There are some additional matters that support and give additional reasons for appeal:

On my research of the matter, I’ve found few deviations on the markings of yellow box junction from the one that’s stated on The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2002, namely:

• The yellow lines must go into at least two of the corners of the box

• The box should go right up to the kerb

• A yellow box at a T junction should cover only half of the junction (the half next to the side road)

The contravention by definition refers to box junctions, this box is not located within a junction but after it and therefore stopping within it is never a contravention

I would be grateful if you could consider these circumstances and cancel the Penalty Charge Notice . I do understand that the enforcements are required for the traffic flow and safety reasons and always followed them without fail.

Thanking You.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got letter from Tfl, 3 pages long.

On 1st page:

all the observations details about my car and the contravention meanings. Then about the points that I've raised.

a) Inadequate signage: generally well known and understood by the public.

b) Yellow Box warning sign: no legal requirements

c) Signs and Warning: meet requirements set down in TSRG 2002

And finally:

" As a gesture of goodwill, I am pleased to advise you that I have decided to cancel the charge as this is the first representation that you have made to Transport for London in regards to traffic Enforcement. I would further like to clarify that this does not form an acceptance of your specific representation."

So :D Do they really cancel for 1st timers??

Thank you for everyone's help without which it was not possible.