DLC - 75% "discount" old CITI card 'debt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter from DLC offering me a 75% discount on a debt they have purchased from Citi, seems like a good deal save that I don't recall ever having an account with Citi.

I have written and informed them I have no knowledge of a Citi account and they initially threatened me with legal action, presumably in Hanoi County Court, I ignored this toothless threat and they have now followed it with this amazing offer.

I certainly will not be offering 25% of this debt which I don't believe to be mine, but it leads me to wonder how much they would have paid for this account and what checks do they carry out when they purchase a bundle of accounts?

Normally all they get is an amount to pursue. The importamt factor is that if they intend to pursue through the courts they must provide evidence a) that the debt exists and B) that your re liable.

What has possibly happened is that they are simply phishing to see if you are prepared to make payment.

You could simply ignore them or alternatively send them a Subject Access Request / CCA.

IMPORTANT, NEVER TALK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE.

they dont carry out checks!! they buy them then try to screw as much as they can out of anyone who seems remotely related by name....i would wait for the 100% off offer

Ours is also an old citi a/c taken over by these chicken farmers so I'll look out for a similar offer in the post soon. Although I'll hold out for 110% off :-)

I suppose if they intend to pursue through the courts they would need a UK address, which I don't have.

How did you get the discount letter? They could send it to your last known address and get the CCJ by default

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

They sent it to my address over here, so I doubt if they would get away with attempting to get a CCJ for my old UK address, which I left a little over four years ago.

In answer to your next question, I don't know how they found my address, but it's not a secret.

I have relatives who moved abroad and were chased for debt. All the threat letters came to nothing and the debt is statute barred.

Why would they bother incurring costs getting CCJ's, with not much chance getting any money, when they can sell the debt on. There are some stupid companies out there like AKtiv Kapitol, who are known to buy anything.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've had a simalar offer from DLC 75% discount to close the so called "account". I know for a fact that no CCA exists for it, as DLC are DCA number 8 that has sent me begging letters for it.

DLC have bought this one, so I presume the remaining 25% they want me to pay is double what they actually paid for it a few months back. Still waiting for them to reply to my CCA request though. ;) No mention of it in the discount offer letter.

It's safe to say that when a DCA offers large discounts, then what they really mean is, "we have no hope of winning in court with this one, so we'll try it on and at least get back what we paid and a few quid profit."

Best to ignore them really.Eventually they'll give up trying.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related