Can you be sued in SA for a debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the terms and conditions of the credit card it will state under which country's laws the contract are governed.

Our t&cs state "governed by the laws of England"

South African courts have no powers to judge consumer contracts governed by English law, only South African law.

The courts of former colonies have no powers where the governing law is that of England, unless a reciprocal agreement remains.

The case may be different if a judgement has been obtained in the country where the card was taken out though.

Edited by noomill060

Hi there card was taken out in Ireland.Feel bad but could not sell our property in Ireland due to recession,loss of work,etc and banks did not want to restructure our mortgage payments to suit.Would appreciate your comments.

Hi thanks for that,read it previously.Whats your opinion on my situation?According to that link I should be ok?

Will overseas cc debt influence my credit record here?

Regards

Hi thanks for that,read it previously.Whats your opinion on my situation?According to that link I should be ok?

Will overseas cc debt influence my credit record here?

Regards

Wont make a difference, you'll just have a blank credit history, that will make it just as difficult to get credit.

But is that such a bad thing?