Express Insurance - Cancelled but want £

Wilcouk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took van insurance out with Express on 13/12/2011. I paid £60.52 as an initial payment which was £36.75 for my 1st month cover and the rest was admin. I then paid £36.75 on 13/01/2012 by DD for my next month. I bought an MPV on Jan 28th 2012 and was told by Express that they do not cover cars so they could not swap from a van to a car. I asked them to cancel the insurance and they told me that I would have to put it in writing as I could not cancel over the phone. I did this and the policy was cancelled on 13/02/2012. That was the date for my next due payment so it worked out fine. I had a text message fromScotcall on 30/08/2012 asking me to contact them urgently. I did this and found they are a debt collecting agancy. They wanted over £90 on behalf of Express Insurance. I called them back, had a go and they said it would be put on hold until I had sorted it out with Express. I then had an email off them, a letter threatening that someone would be calling round to see me and another call on 3/09/2012. In my opinion, the fact that express could not insure my car was a collapse of contractual obligation. Also, as I had paid for Dec and Jan then I had paid for my insurance cover. I accept there may be a cancellation charge for 'admin' but not £90+. Looking through the paperwork, there is a credit agreement and a letter asking me to sign and return. This was never done so that is not really enforceable. Watch this space

Suggest a formal complaint in writing to Express, asking them for a final response, as you wish the FOS to look into this.

The problem here is that you took out an annual policy for a van and there was no legal obligation for them to Insure any vehicle you wanted to change to. Under most annual van policies, if you no wanted to insure the van and the policy was to end mid-term, the Insurers would be due the full annual premium. But they should have written to you to explain the situation properly with a breakdown of what was due to them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
Send the letter back to them, with a covering letter, saying that you have been trying to phone them without being able to get through. Advice them that you would like to dispute this and can they send you their complaints procedure, together with an FOS leaflet. Tell them that unless they waive the amount, you will refer the matter to the FOS. As it will then cost Express a £500 FOS case fee and you nothing, they will probably write it off. You could also add to their worries, by pointing out that the FSA might be interested to learn about the non effective accounting processes being operated by Express.

Hi following on from this, i sent the letter and i heard NOTHING!! - no conformation or nothing they received it!?!

Now out of the blue i ve just had a phone call from Scotbank or Scotcall (i think they are debt collectors??) asking me to confirm my name and address and date of birth, which i would nt - im not giving a complete stranger even my barest of details over the phone!!

I asked him what it was about? i told them i dont bank with Scotbank and infact i ve never even heard of you? then he went on about have you ever had insurance with Kwik Fit Insurance, but he would nt discuss the matter further cos i would nt confirm any details...

So have they now handed the matter to this Scotbank ?? are they debt collectors??

He said i would be getting a letter within a few days...

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS?? HOW LONG BEFORE THIS DEBT - which i dont even have!! (SEE DETAILS ABOVE) is invalid??

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME PLEASE??

Best,

John Paul

Hi following on from this, i sent the letter and i heard NOTHING!! - no conformation or nothing they received it!?!

Now out of the blue i ve just had a phone call from Scotbank or Scotcall (i think they are debt collectors??) asking me to confirm my name and address and date of birth, which i would nt - im not giving a complete stranger even my barest of details over the phone!!

I asked him what it was about? i told them i dont bank with Scotbank and infact i ve never even heard of you? then he went on about have you ever had insurance with Kwik Fit Insurance, but he would nt discuss the matter further cos i would nt confirm any details...

So have they now handed the matter to this Scotbank ?? are they debt collectors??

He said i would be getting a letter within a few days...

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS?? HOW LONG BEFORE THIS DEBT - which i dont even have!! (SEE DETAILS ABOVE) is invalid??

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME PLEASE??

Best,

John Paul

Ignore snotcall. I think for a written complaint Kwik Fit had 5 days to issue a response or an acknowledgement. If just an acknowledgement they would then have 20 days to respond to the complaint.

As you have heard nothing, suggest sending a copy of the complaint letter by recorded delivery, addressed to their managing director. Advise them that this is a copy of the complaint letter, which they have failed to respond to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Registration Number: Z4774687

Date Registered: 24 May 2000 Registration Expires: 23 May 2013

Data Controller: SCOTCALL LIMITED

Address:

SPECTRUM BUILDING

3RD FLOOR

55 BLYTHSWOOD STREET

GLASGOW

G2 7AT

Other Names:

SCOTCALL DEBT COLLECTING SERVICES

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Ignore snotcall. I think for a written complaint Kwik Fit had 5 days to issue a response or an acknowledgement. If just an acknowledgement they would then have 20 days to respond to the complaint.

As you have heard nothing, suggest sending a copy of the complaint letter by recorded delivery, addressed to their managing director. Advise them that this is a copy of the complaint letter, which they have failed to respond to.

Thanks,

unfortunately i wrote the letter by hand, and i cant remember what i put in the original?? lol

I ll re write another and send it recorded.

To be honest i threw everything away because it was so long since id heard anything from the letter i sent, i thought it was over and done with! oops!!

So if i get this letter which Scotcall are promising i ll be getting in the next few days, do i ignore that? or do i write to them too??

(i dont want debt collectors turning up at my door upsetting or threatening my family!)

best, jp

Thanks,

unfortunately i wrote the letter by hand, and i cant remember what i put in the original?? lol

I ll re write another and send it recorded.

To be honest i threw everything away because it was so long since id heard anything from the letter i sent, i thought it was over and done with! oops!!

So if i get this letter which Scotcall are promising i ll be getting in the next few days, do i ignore that? or do i write to them too??

(i dont want debt collectors turning up at my door upsetting or threatening my family!)

best, jp

Unlikely they would visit.

If you get a letter from Scotcall, send it back to them with a covering note saying that the matter is in dispute with Kwik Fit and you have a complaint registered with them. Also per OFT quidelines they have to stop their collection activity.

• 3 weeks later...

Rats!

I really wish I'd have had a look atExpress Insurance prior to taking out my policy with them, my tale is a wee bit different in that i paid for my annual premium up front. I then changed my vehicle, attempted to contact them, and eventually cancelled my premium after receiving nothing but rubbish service*. I then asked them to forward my refund and was promptly told "no refund is due"

*I cancelled my policy after spending two days trying to call Express Insurance, each time i called i was put into a queue but not to worry because "my call is important" one time i was left hanging for 17 minutes before someone picked up the phone, said "the systems are down" and hung up!

I eventually gave up calling and figured i'd email them instead, they told me that they'd be in touch within 24hrs... they weren't, in fact, they didn't bother contacting me until after i sent them a seriously snotty cancellation notice.

Because I complained they handed my details to their "customer relations" dept, those lovely people told me that they were ever so sorry that I'd had rubbish service, but not to worry because they were on the case and they'd be in touch "within 20 days" - pulling out all the stops there eh fella's!

Long story short, their T&C's clearly state that a fee of £50 applies to cancelled policies but there is no mention of them retaining the remainder of a prepaid policy. As an aside, the policy term remaining was/is six months less one day, so it's a hefty old chunk of change that they're helping themselves to! Needless to say, I'm not going to let it lie and will be making as much noise as possible until my refund arrives, next stop, Watchdog! Trading Standards, the Ombudsman, the local paper etc. etc.

Anyone reading who is considering using Express Insurance (c'mon Google do your stuff) should take heed, I would say "be sure to read the small print" but they make the rules up to suit themselves, so ignore the small print, and focus on other people's experiences with them instead.

• 2 months later...

Long Shot, but....

Has anybody got a letter from these theiving b**stards saying that they haven't recieved a copy of driving license and will cancel your policy.

Here is the important bit, it also states that they will contact you again before doing so

I am sure a previous letter stated something along the lines of 'the above', but i have shredded all letters from them, as i thought i had solved this problem only to find they have cancelled my policy and want to charge me £50 for doing so

Any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I am having Problems with Express Insurance too:

I took out car insurance with them (through Go-Compare) and they asked me for my No Claims Bonus certificate and driving licence so i scanned them and emailed them.. In the mean time like 7 days later they sent me 4 letters all at the same time saying my Insurance was Cancelled because i didn't send them the documents they required, I jumped on the phone in shock that they had cancelled my insurance and spoke with a lady who i told "i send the documents via email haven't you received them yet?" , Who then told me " my insurance was not cancelled and i should leave it a few more days to see if it goes through the system".. I thought ok im still insured the documents have been sent, that will be the last of it..

I was wrong they then sent me a further letter saying that there was a gap in cover could i please explain in writing for the gap and whilst doing so sign in writing that i never had a claim in this period, I had been banned from driving for 1 year and it took me 18 months in total to get back on the road again due to me having to re-take my driving licence i never had a claim or an incident or any form of accident and sent the letter back within a few days...

A week later roughly without checking dates, they sent me the cherry on the cake letter saying that my insurance was definitely cancelled and kindly pointed out it was a offence to drive on the roads without a licence (Yeah thanks guys for that tip that's why i took out insurance in the first place.) and kindly pointed out to me that i still owe them money which comes to the totally unacceptable amount of £433.95 (I've only been insured by them for 6 weeks... c'mon seriously!!!!!!!!!!) And that the matter it now being handed onto there debit collection service.

I just phoned them today jumping down there necks asking why they cancelled and that i had provided them with all the relevant information and signed any legal documents they asked for (except the credit agreement, i didn't sign anything of this nature) And he made out that it was my fault the post is late over Christmas and there is nothing i can do, although he did speak with his manager, who wasn't any more help then the con artist on the phone (do they even go speak with the manager or just go for a quick cig?) we had a meaningless conversation for about 20 minutes and his only reason for cancel was the fact didn't reply or make the pigeons fly in the post fast enough for them and that they couldn't do anything but cancel my policy because of the delay in contact from me.

I can only feel like they wanted to cancel the insurance all the time they acted so fast in doing this, and i am a genuine customer who would of happily been insured by them, all payments was upto date and i acted as fast as i could with sending information, I cant really take blame because of Christmas post being late, and the fact they cancelled my insurance and didn't give me a chance to clear the matter just tells me this is a [problem] or a con, and people need to be aware of this company.

I have threatened them with legal action and told them ill be forwarding my complaint to watchdog, and i will make a formal complaint via recorded delivery too the managing director, asking him to resolve the matter and i will be forwarding all corresponding letters to FOS and who ever else can help me with this.

• 3 weeks later...

I took out an express insurance for my dad the other week, upon taking it out I was asked to send ncb and license so I sent the ncb and email them about his license as he only as the old paper type which is still in date I got a reply stating that a copy if the paper license would be fine so I sent it by email, I then got a letter posted which I got 3 days after they posted it stating I must send them a copy of the license with 7 day ( leaving me 4 days) and that i was being charged £15 so I also photocopied it and sent it.... the day after they posted the license request they listed a 7 day cancellation notice which I got 2 days after they posted it . I then email them the license AGAIN which a complaint email with a reply saying the address on the license does not match the policy!! We have 2 houses 1main house where everything is registered and a second house where the car s currently being kept over night ( the risk address ) so therefore they will not accept it and that I need to send a copy of the paper part and plastic part to which I had already explained about!! Their service is the worst I Have ever come across I work for a very large insurance company myself ( but we do not insure vans hence why I didn't insure here) and I would NEVER treat my customers like this!! There is no law about having 2 houses..... And nothing in their terms and conditions about this? Where do we stand?

• 1 year later...

I am also having problems with Express Insurance which is now becoming an annual occurrence. I took out van insurance in July 2010 agreed quote of £582.62 for a year on the proviso I send proof of no claims discount which I did (11 years no claims with Halifax Insurance and just over 2 years no claims with company car (letter sent from employers).

5 months later, received remittance advice for £1087.60 I telephoned Express Insurance to query this and was advised they were now not accepting my no claims discount due to having company car for just over 2 years and the amount they now want is £1087.60 to continue my insurance cover, If I did not agree to pay this they would cancel my insurance cover within 7 days.

Naturally, I did not agree, subsequently Express Ins cancelled the policy. Thought that was the end of it until 13 months later I received a Debt Collection Notice from Scotcall Limited demanding payment of £307.46 when I rang them they explained it has been passed over to them from Express Insurance because I cancelled my policy - explained the situation to them and they passed it back.

August 2012: Six months later received another letter from different debt collection agency ARC (Europe Ltd) demanding the same £307.46 contacted them and explained situation, they then transferred it to Trevor Munn Solicitors and I received a letter 16th August demanding the same, contacted them and explained that I did not owe this money.

2013: All quiet no demands, no letters, as this gone away?

January 2014: Letter from Akinika debt recovery - Doorstep Collection Notice - tel them explained the situation and I now have to send them copies of all documents etc. I will also be forwarding all copies and documents to the financial ombudsman.

I am also having problems with Express Insurance which is now becoming an annual occurrence. I took out van insurance in July 2010 agreed quote of £582.62 for a year on the proviso I send proof of no claims discount which I did (11 years no claims with Halifax Insurance and just over 2 years no claims with company car (letter sent from employers).

5 months later, received remittance advice for £1087.60 I telephoned Express Insurance to query this and was advised they were now not accepting my no claims discount due to having company car for just over 2 years and the amount they now want is £1087.60 to continue my insurance cover, If I did not agree to pay this they would cancel my insurance cover within 7 days.

Naturally, I did not agree, subsequently Express Ins cancelled the policy. Thought that was the end of it until 13 months later I received a Debt Collection Notice from Scotcall Limited demanding payment of £307.46 when I rang them they explained it has been passed over to them from Express Insurance because I cancelled my policy - explained the situation to them and they passed it back.

August 2012: Six months later received another letter from different debt collection agency ARC (Europe Ltd) demanding the same £307.46 contacted them and explained situation, they then transferred it to Trevor Munn Solicitors and I received a letter 16th August demanding the same, contacted them and explained that I did not owe this money.

2013: All quiet no demands, no letters, as this gone away?

January 2014: Letter from Akinika debt recovery - Doorstep Collection Notice - tel them explained the situation and I now have to send them copies of all documents etc. I will also be forwarding all copies and documents to the financial ombudsman.

Have you complained to express insurance and been given a final decision? If not, you will need to complain to them first and they have 8 weeks to respond, if you have, you must make a complain to the ombudsman within 6 months of receiving it.

Have you complained to express insurance and been given a final decision? If not, you will need to complain to them first and they have 8 weeks to respond, if you have, you must make a complain to the ombudsman within 6 months of receiving it.

I complained to Express insurance when I received the 1st debt collection letter from Scotcall who advised me they are no longer dealing with the matter and to deal with Scotcall.