Log Book Loans - Can anyone help???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes I agree, I am going to demand that they supply proof of sale at auction, I have been ripped off and I know somebody has made alot of money out of this. I am going to call them tomorrow and also put it in writing, any ideas of some strong words to make them listen?

How are you Nel?

SOLICITOR/ LEGAL ACTION/ COURT CASE/ BAILIFF now all you need to do is put them into some sort of order.

Seriously what you need to do is phone them and see how that conversation goes then use whatever is discussed in that call as confirmation wording in your letter.

Boo

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nellie75, if you are going to ring them i would recommend you use this site http://www.rectel.co.uk you ring the number and they give you a four figure code it will tell you to enter the number you wish to ring.

have your phonecall stay calm dont swear, ask all the questions you want answered, hopefully getting the reply you want, dont talk over them let them say there bit.

once you have finished go back to the site enter your pin number and phone number you will be able to download in 3 different flavours the call you just made.

use this to write your letter, if they deny anything just do what i do and send them a copy of the phone call.

steve

nellie75, if you are going to ring them i would recommend you use this site RecTel: Call Recording Service you ring the number and they give you a four figure code it will tell you to enter the number you wish to ring.

have your phonecall stay calm dont swear, ask all the questions you want answered, hopefully getting the reply you want, dont talk over them let them say there bit.

once you have finished go back to the site enter your pin number and phone number you will be able to download in 3 different flavours the call you just made.

use this to write your letter, if they deny anything just do what i do and send them a copy of the phone call.

steve

Really helpful that Steve - just about to make a note of that address myself!!

Boo

;) Boobaby

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

your most welcome boo,

the only downside is you cant record incoming calls, what i normally do is tell whoever is calling that i will ring them back to verify who they are tell them about identify theft ect

that way when you ring them back its all recorded. lol.

steve

your most welcome boo,

the only downside is you cant record incoming calls, what i normally do is tell whoever is calling that i will ring them back to verify who they are tell them about identify theft ect

that way when you ring them back its all recorded. lol.

steve

You're a clever guy, Obviously done this before :grin:

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

wow thats brilliant, they can be so nasty on the phone, wish i had known about it before. What they normally do is say they will send things and they never do so will be great to have proof of that.

I have had to put the solicitor on hold for the moment, asking for 2k upfront for next stage, just can't afford it, so frustrating because i know I would win hands down, everyone I have told has been horrified at what they have done.

Great to hear from you boo! Hows your action going against them?

Thanks so much for support guys

If you think I have helped hop on the scales. If I was useless best to keep quiet me thinks:D

you should of been given an allowance for what teh number plate was worth, although the car does get repossed they have to take into account any modifications that you have done to increase the price of the car.

I would be interesed to know the minimum amount they found acceptable on the sale of the vehicle, Car repossesions can have dealers already set up and these sales are being agreed long before the auction begins.

Dealers are already in place they view and phone through an offer to the finance company the item is then agreed to be sold and auction house is paid thier percentage. Sadly no one else gets to view the car at auction.

Always ask questions this is your car being re sold to clear your debit.

My best advice..

If you have your car repossesed for auction request where itis being auctioned and go and watch it being sold.

Sorry to Hi-jack this thread but I am in need of urgent help about my car that was repossessed with a private registration number on it.

My thread is 'Logbook loans-can anyone help????' under vehicle retailers, its very long thread so don't expect you to read it unless you have a spare month!!

My main problem now is my registration plate is my name exactly and very rare, the company who took the car would not give me time to retain the plate and they say they have sold the car and number plate for less than the car itself is worth. My number plate has since been sold on a private registration website for £70,000 (i bought it for 60k) The loan on the car was only £9k and car itself worth £28k but they still say i owe them £3k:x .

Cut everything short, I don't believe it was sold at auction for the price they say, mainly because the number plate is clearly valuable by looking at it and SOMEBODY sold it, but I can't get info from anyone.

I am calling them tomorrow to demand proof of the sale at auction, because i know something strange going on and driving me mad!!!

Any advice on where i stand is very much welcome - apologies again for Hi-jack of thread guys

If you think I have helped hop on the scales. If I was useless best to keep quiet me thinks:D

Nellie

This is my point exactly, and the under tied of what happens in this buisness is overlooked.

Someone may have brought your car but possibly not at auction it may well of been sold at the back of your local branch for cash. these vehicles are viewed by dealers long before auction.

Sadly Your registration plate may then have been sold on and a possiblity that the profits of your plate shared between who ever made it possible.

The steps you take now, I have read your other thread and you are getting some good advise although I honestly have no ideal as the selling point is as far as my involvement with repossesion went, which is why i have advised above to keep a location of your vehicle and keep updated as much as possible and keep proof of everything.

I have not known anyone trace or bring a complaint that was upheld with out showing evidence to trace the movements of the vehicle and failure to auction.

Possibly its to late to retrace what has happened, but for a plate worth £60,000 I would seriously concider filling a complaint with the police as somewhere there is money that is yours.

I think this rests my case for advising as above, Im just sorry you have had his happen to you and I hope you manage to get some results.

BL:)

I am calling them tomorrow to demand proof of the sale at auction, because i know something strange going on and driving me mad!!!

This will be your ONLY recourse, and if it can be found that there was not a sale at public auction, you have a chance to challenge that the price obtained was not a fair one, and you have been disadvantaged as a result. However, this only reflects the value of the vehicle, the value of the plate - as noted in other threads - only had any worth when there is a willing buyer to purchase it. Since every car must be sold with a registration number, it would be your resposibility to 'care' for it. Why did you not place it on a Retention Certificate and keep it out the clutches of the finance house? The plate may well be worth £60k to you - but I very much doubt the dealer selling it has bought it at all - it remains there to be sold. If the FH felt the plate worthy of selling, and transferred it for such a purpose until it has been bought, it cannot form the basis for any mitigation of charges umtil this happens. If a reasonable time elapses and it is still not sold then if the FH asserts it has still not sold after how many months it has been available, I am sure a court would hold their actions to be reasonable - making any such claim against them all the more difficult.

My Car has been reposessed today. I had a loan of £1000 12 months ago (the loan was for 12 months). I defaulted and over the year picked up £700 in late charges (£20 for each letter they sent me). I made a payment of £250 in October, which was the original loan amount then paid off, the loan has expired and just the late payment charges outstanding. When I made this payment they said they would look for the payment to clear in their bank and then they would contact me to arrange a repayment plan for the outstanding late payment charges. I have had no more contact from them in nearly one month and then all of a sudden they clamped my car this morning then took it away. The man who repossed it needed £1200 cash from me (at 8.00am)! He also said he couldn't accept a cheque. I didn't have this kind of money so he has taken the car away. I have arranged for somebody to lend me the money so I will be getting my car back later today. Can anybody advise if there is anything I can do about this? They were writing to me nearly every day when they could charge me £20 for it. Especially with the original loan amount being paid off and only late charges outstanding? And the fact that it's gone from £700 to £1200 in the space of one month. Would this be charges for the reposession company to collect the car? The original loan was for £1000 and i will have ended up paying £3000 back

If the outstanding amount is all charges and you have a schedule of them all, issue a N1 claim form at your local court immediately.

If you havent got a schedule I would use an estimate on the claim form. Either way I would be filing a claim in court right away.

Good Luck.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES

1/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

HALIFAX

7/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

CAPITAL ONE

5/10/06 SETTLED IN FULL

NatWest

7/09/06 SETTLED IN FULL

ULSTER BANK

8/8/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

28/09/06 Prelim sent

18/09/07 Claim filed at court

Sorry to Hi-jack this thread but I am in need of urgent help about my car that was repossessed with a private registration number on it.

My thread is 'Logbook loans-can anyone help????' under vehicle retailers, its very long thread so don't expect you to read it unless you have a spare month!!

My main problem now is my registration plate is my name exactly and very rare, the company who took the car would not give me time to retain the plate and they say they have sold the car and number plate for less than the car itself is worth. My number plate has since been sold on a private registration website for £70,000 (i bought it for 60k) The loan on the car was only £9k and car itself worth £28k but they still say i owe them £3k:x .

Cut everything short, I don't believe it was sold at auction for the price they say, mainly because the number plate is clearly valuable by looking at it and SOMEBODY sold it, but I can't get info from anyone.

Any advice on where i stand is very much welcome - apologies again for Hi-jack of thread guys

Am I missing something, if you plate was worth £70k and the loan on the car was £9k when you got in to trouble with the loan, why did you not sell the plate to pay it off???????

Not having a go it just seems a bit odd

wow thats brilliant, they can be so nasty on the phone, wish i had known about it before. What they normally do is say they will send things and they never do so will be great to have proof of that.

I have had to put the solicitor on hold for the moment, asking for 2k upfront for next stage, just can't afford it, so frustrating because i know I would win hands down, everyone I have told has been horrified at what they have done.

Great to hear from you boo! Hows your action going against them?

Thanks so much for support guys

Have you started the process for claiming your charges from them etc... If not can I suggest you start this as it would be separate from any action you would be taking legally!!!

I have been a bit lapse TBH regarding my claim as I have been chasing Halifax which is now resolved... Had a bog off letter from LBL last time so even more determined now... Will keep in touch. Boo x

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Nellie75,

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it.

I have read through a fair bit of this post but not all of it so if I have missed something let me know.

I know this doesnt help now but it might help people in future. If it is widely accepted that the agrements are not legal. Them taking your car without a court order is highly illegal, you should have called the police and reported it as a theft THEY WERE NOT THE OWNERS OF THAT CAR!!

How long ago did they take it and did they have a court order?

My Car has been reposessed today. I had a loan of £1000 12 months ago (the loan was for 12 months). I defaulted and over the year picked up £700 in late charges (£20 for each letter they sent me). I made a payment of £250 in October, which was the original loan amount then paid off, the loan has expired and just the late payment charges outstanding. When I made this payment they said they would look for the payment to clear in their bank and then they would contact me to arrange a repayment plan for the outstanding late payment charges. I have had no more contact from them in nearly one month and then all of a sudden they clamped my car this morning then took it away. The man who repossed it needed £1200 cash from me (at 8.00am)! He also said he couldn't accept a cheque. I didn't have this kind of money so he has taken the car away. I have arranged for somebody to lend me the money so I will be getting my car back later today. Can anybody advise if there is anything I can do about this? They were writing to me nearly every day when they could charge me £20 for it. Especially with the original loan amount being paid off and only late charges outstanding? And the fact that it's gone from £700 to £1200 in the space of one month. Would this be charges for the reposession company to collect the car? The original loan was for £1000 and i will have ended up paying £3000 back

Hi Fred. I'm glad you found us and am sorry to hear what has happened to you. I see it has been suggested that you immediately put in a court claim, but the court will expect you to try to settle this first and use court as a last resort. It is more than likely that you will need to go to court to resolve it in the end, but at least you will be able to show that you have done your best to settle first, which will look good for you, and bad on the loan company.

The charges are clearly penalties and therefore unlawful. There is no quick fix, but the sooner you start claiming the sooner you will be able to get this sorted. The FAQ's refer mostly to banks, but the principles are the same so read through them, and use and adapt the letters in the bank templates library, and in the end these bullies will have no choice but to pay up. The link below takes you to the parts of the forum that you need. I suggest you start your own thread so that we can follow your progress and try to help you if you need it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Fred. I'm glad you found us and am sorry to hear what has happened to you. I see it has been suggested that you immediately put in a court claim, but the court will expect you to try to settle this first and use court as a last resort. It is more than likely that you will need to go to court to resolve it in the end, but at least you will be able to show that you have done your best to settle first, which will look good for you, and bad on the loan company.

The charges are clearly penalties and therefore unlawful. There is no quick fix, but the sooner you start claiming the sooner you will be able to get this sorted. The FAQ's refer mostly to banks, but the principles are the same so read through them, and use and adapt the letters in the bank templates library, and in the end these bullies will have no choice but to pay up. The link below takes you to the parts of the forum that you need. I suggest you start your own thread so that we can follow your progress and try to help you if you need it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

I am currently in dispute with this Company also. I have taken them through the whole process and am now at the Court Stage, initially I wasn't going to claim for the Bailiff fees as I thought I couldn't but to be honest my car was never repossessed although they threatened it and charged me for the privilage!!

I have since discovered since using this site that they need a court order to repossess but they do tend to use bullyboy tactics which frightens you into thinking they are right anway. I was lucky (or unlucky which ever way you look at it) I was able to pay them what they wanted when they contacted me. I then sold the car, at a far more reasonable price than they would have got and paid the person back that lent me the money to pay them, with enough money to buy a little run around. So now they pay me what they owe me.

Boo x

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Thanks for all your advice. I now have my car back after paying £1200 today but the tax disc has been taken and they are saying it was never there, I have to go to the police in the morning, but thats another story... I'm a little confused by what you are saying I can claim back? Are you saying that I can claim the late charges back? I also now realise that they needed a court order to take my car, and they didn't have one. I didn't even have a default notice. Also am I entitled to have a breakdown of all the payments and charges from Log Book Loans, as I have nothing in writing?

Read the FAQ's, but if the charges were penalties you can claim them back as they are unlawful. Have a good read of the step by step instructions, and other threads in the forum. You need to start by sending a SAR and paying 10 pounds, and they then have 40 days to produce all the information they hold about you and their dealings with you. Then you can get to work getting your money back. It's all in the FAQ's and step by step instructions.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Nellie75,

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it.

I have read through a fair bit of this post but not all of it so if I have missed something let me know.

I know this doesnt help now but it might help people in future. If it is widely accepted that the agrements are not legal. Them taking your car without a court order is highly illegal, you should have called the police and reported it as a theft THEY WERE NOT THE OWNERS OF THAT CAR!!

How long ago did they take it and did they have a court order?

Hi James

What happened regarding the repossession, we called 999 and told them a balliff with no ID or documents apart from a hand written invoice kind of thing was taking our car. The balliff then told the police on the telephone that there was a court order but it was back at the office. He told us earlier that he didn't need one so he lied to one of us. Police then gave him permission to take the car and off it went with balliff grinning from ear to ear :x Balliff agreed to fax copy of court order to police. Police said they received something stamped by a court but would not give us copies because of data protection. They said it was a civil case thereafter. We then called LBL who said they didn't need a court order because they had a bill of sale which is registered with the high court (no idea what being registered means) We asked them if the bill of sale was enforced by the court (which we understand it needs to be) They admitted it wasn't but would make no further comment.

I still after countless requests, haven't received anything from LBL, including origanal documents that they said i signed as i never received copies. I was disputing repayments as i was told they would be £225 a month then they told me it was that a WEEK!!! They wouldn't listen, never returned calls, reply to letters or send me anything. Then just turned up and took my car on a public road outside my son's school. This was on 9th september and they have continued to ignore me.

So in short there is no court order, there is something stamped by a court that i have not seen but they have told me they didn't need a court order or to enforce the bill of sale to take the car :confused:

nellie75, if you are going to ring them i would recommend you use this site RecTel: Call Recording Service you ring the number and they give you a four figure code it will tell you to enter the number you wish to ring.

Hiya

Really fed up, tried using the rectel service but it said the number i was calling was too expensive, only number i have is 0870 number for LBL:rolleyes:

I spoke to somebody about the number plate and they just kept saying over and over that the number plate and car belonged to them :x I said to them it would have made no difference if they had let me retain the plate and asign it the original number, they would still have the car! They wouldn't listen and said it was sold now and nothing i can do about it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am now looking at the whole picture again and need to get my hands on everything they said i signed proof of sale etc - will a S.A.R cover it???

A SAR should give you copies of everything they have about you.

By the way, there is a website where you can usually find normal phone numbers as alternatives to the 0870 numbers which are obviously much cheaper. SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers

Am I missing something, if you plate was worth £70k and the loan on the car was £9k when you got in to trouble with the loan, why did you not sell the plate to pay it off???????

Not having a go it just seems a bit odd

My number plate was up for sale and i tried to retain it with DVLA but process takes about 6 weeks so half way through doing that when they took the car. I was not in trouble with repayments, they told me repayments where £220 a month and then said i agreed £220 a WEEK! I was in a dispute over this and paid them £220 a month untill they took the car.

Please feel free to move this - don't want to impose on this thread, sorry:oops:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks