Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Under the UTCCR if a term is vague or not in plain intelligible language the meaning most favourable to the consumer applies.

However the judge in the test case has deemed the majority of specific charging terms as in plain intelligible language.

How that reads across to the CCA I don't know.

There wasn't anything wrong with the language, it was clear and unequivocal. It was just wrong.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember if I say to you "I'm going to smash your face in" it's in plain intelligible language. Now if I was to smash your face in physically, that doesn't mean it was fair! Having anything said in PIL does not make it right or fair, it just means there is nothing ambiguous about it.

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Retrospection matters not a ot. The plain fact is they are doing it means that historically they WERE unfair and exhorbitant.

The plain fact is that the Banks have been threatened with new legislation and Laws if they didn't make their fees FAIRER ipso facto, they are now starting to lower them!

Why, if they are fair, are they even contemplating lowering them then?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

In a spirit of cooperation and good will of course! :rolleyes:

Didn't think Lloyds had either of those ;)

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Related, but different bank!

The beginning has begun!

BBC News - Lloyds TSB to cut overdraft fees

However, Lloyds also said it would stop paying any interest on its standard current accounts.

It currently pays just 0.1% annual interest to the account holders but will now pay nothing at all

Another example of how they claw it back:rolleyes:

m2ae

So many anomalies it's like an episode of Primeval.

To simplify in an analogy:

Royal Burgers of Scotland: Our burgers contain no salt whatsover!

Consumers: Yes they do! We can taste it, it's SALTY!!

Royal Burgers of Scotland. Nope.No salt.Definitely. Absolutely none. Salt free. Zilch.

6 months later...

Royal Burgers of Scotland announce they are reducing the amount of salt in their burgers...

:rolleyes:

Far too little, far too late.

still far too expensive

Barclays did something similar, its still really expensive.

This is all designed to avoid legislation to abolish these unfair and immoral penalties on the poorest...

Not impressed at all LTSB, not in the slightest I'm afraid.

Lloyds charging regime has been without doubt the biggest rip off of all of the banks in my opinion - it is just horrific and completely unjustifiable. Perhaps they've seen the writing on the wall.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Lloyds charging regime has been without doubt the biggest rip off of all of the banks in my opinion - it is just horrific and completely unjustifiable. Perhaps they've seen the writing on the wall.

Not sure on that. Barclays just hit my account with 3 x £22 = £66 reserve account usage fees then, hit it again for another £22 for allowing them to apply the fees.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Not sure on that. Barclays just hit my account with 3 x £22 = £66 reserve account usage fees then, hit it again for another £22 for allowing them to apply the fees.

Well here's what Lloyds can do when they really put their mind to it. I'm sure there are similar cases with most of the big banks though:

£800 bank charges for 8p overdraft

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Well here's what Lloyds can do when they really put their mind to it. I'm sure there are similar cases with most of the big banks though:

£800 bank charges for 8p overdraft

Anyone else would be convicted of theft and jailed. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

“In light of new information that Ms Gibson did not share with us, we will be contacting her again to discuss her circumstances.”

This is code for

"In light of the fact that our corporate greed has once again been exposed in the media, we will be contacting her again to discuss her circumstances"

Els

Ms Gibson,

Allegedly she was seen on tv and her lips were moving, we can

only assume that she was spinning another gossamer web of deceit, is

that also called corporate greed??

(Allegedly) :p:rolleyes:

Hi,

The above link doesn't work. Can you please re-post.

Thanks,

TheyrCriminals

The link works for me, but here's the text:

A student has been threatened with legal action by her bank after racking up £800 in charges for going 8p overdrawn.

Laura Gibson, 20, was stung by charges of up to £166-a-month after going overdrawn last September.

Despite paying back more than £300 the blonde has been unable to keep ahead of the spiralling charges and still owes £515.18.

Miss Gibson, of Cheltenham, said: ''This whole episode has been an absolute nightmare. For a debt to have gone from 8p to more than £500 is crazy. I've stopped using the account and the way I've been treated is disgraceful.

''To charge £166 a month for being overdrawn is completely disproportionate, to demand immediate payment from an unemployed student is outrageous.

''I'm working part-time to try to make ends meet and there's no way I can afford to hand over that amount of money for such a ridiculous debt.”

Miss Gibson's ordeal began in September last year when a £60 purchase on her Switch card sent her Lloyds TSB Classic Plus account 8p overdrawn.

The account had no overdraft facility so she was immediately charged £60 for going overdrawn.

She was informed by letter but, as she was unemployed at the time, was unable to repay the full amount that month.

The bank then charged her £30 in October, £60 in December and £78 in January. By March she had racked up more than £300 in overdraft fees, which she had nearly paid off by April.

She was almost back in the black when Lloyds TSB increased its overdraft charges to a flat monthly rate of £166.55 in May.

This sent the debt soaring again and Miss Gibson, who is studying A-levels at Gloucestershire College is now £515.18 overdrawn after 10 months.

Lloyds TSB has offered to waive half the fee if she repays £250 immediately, which she cannot afford.

Miss Gibson, who was raised in social care and has no family to provide financial support, has taken a part-time job in a bar in a bid to keep the debt under control.

But the bank has now written to her warning of legal action if she fails to settle.

She said: ''This has been an incredibly difficult time for me. I had a nervous breakdown last November and have been desperately trying to move on since. But this has been hanging over me and I feel I can't cope. I tried to leave the bank in April but they said I couldn't until I settled the debt.

''Letters have been sent telling me to settle a debt which has been incurred for last month's fees and before I've had chance to contact them another one has dropped through saying it's too late. I've now paid more than £300 in charges but still they want more.”

Last week an investigation by finance website Moneynet.co.uk reported Lloyds TSB was worst offender for punishing customers who fell briefly into the red.

A spokesman for Lloyds TSB said: “The charges that Miss Gibson has incurred are not for a one- off unplanned overdraft position of 8p, they relate to an unplanned overdraft of varying amounts dating back to September 2007.”

Several repayment packages were offered to Miss Gibson, but the she turned them down. She went on: “In situations where there are extenuating circumstances, such as illness, that may affect a customer's ability to manage their finances, we can consider waiving part or all of the charges that they have incurred.

“In light of new information that Ms Gibson did not share with us, we will be contacting her again to discuss her circumstances.”

That's not just Lloyds, my 2nd case against Halifax, they put me 12 p over my limit by taking their interest, and by the time they paid up (in a matter of weeks rather than months) they repaid over £150 of charges + cancel another £80 of charges to come. If I hadn't challenged and stopped them, the "debt" would have increased -then- at the rate of about £80 a month!