Another computer problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After the invaluable advice and help I received with my last computer problem, I thought here might be a good place for some help with another problem. Different computer this time, a Toshiba satellite laptop, provided by Xma through an education scheme for the kids. The problem we have is, after shutting it down earlier, upon trying to restart it comes up with the blue screen and windows cant start etc. Now, I've tried starting in safe mode, but it wont do it, we dont have a recovery disc, xma wouldn't supply one, as any work has to be done by them, but after a 6week wait last time for a new screen, just thought if anyone could give any advice that may get it sorted quicker. Its running windows vista home.

I really don't think there is much you can do Kregrs, without a recovery disc anyway. Is the laptop less than 12 months old?

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Who actually, legally, owns the machine you or Xma. If you own the machine then you are legally entitled to copies or ALL software loaded onto the PC and these should be licensed in your name. Similarly a recovery disc containing the operating system should be supplied. This assumes that the PC was bought from Xma complete with software.

Hi, the blue sreen of death!

When you start your laptop up, past keep hitting F8, it should with crossed fingers bring you to the screen of vista start up repair?

If not, you say you dont have a copy of vista? if the bottom of your laptop has the genuine key stuck on the bottom you should go and ask a friend if they have a spare copy of vista but you will enter your key in.

Have you recentely installed anything on your laptop? or added new RAM perhaps?

I'd be tempted to try removing any additional RAM that may have been fitted, and then try starting it up.

This worked for me on an old Tosh Satellite laptop.

Neither safe mode nor a Recovery Disk will be any use until you can get past the BSD

Mossy

I'd would start support by asking you what you Blue Screen of Death is telling you. That'll give us an idea as to what is malfunctioning, and, by extension, how to go about fixing it.

In most cases, the cause is to be found written IN CAPITAL LETTERS, or often just after a STOP statement. Unfortunately there are rarely common elements here to point you towards, but if you can get any of information as to what is failing and post it here, we'll be happy to help.

Regardless if what is causing this issue, we will almost certainly want a copy of the Vista disc to effect a repair. there are ways around this, but it will be enormously helpful if you can speak with whomsoever (xma or otherwise) and get yourself a disc for recovery purposes.