Tenant in need for a little advice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are somewhat unfortunately. The key is to tread lightly.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

What is this landlord like? You have been very reasonable in that you haven't tried to get money from him for the bed or wardrobe. Is he reasonably okay to speak to (even if he is being useless)? If they have let you stay without a tenancy agreement they obviously trust you. They should be able to claim on their insurance for this water damage too. Are they showing any sympathy towards how this has affected your health issues?

You are somewhat unfortunately. The key is to tread lightly.

Yes Ive decided to write a nice letter to them, pointing out a few details that I have done that has saved them money. Its a nice long 4 page letter. Im hoping this will work.

Daniella Ive known my landlord a long long time, not through being a tenant but when he usd to run a bar I used to go to.. always got on well with him. Its his fathers business and may address this to his father as he is a very nice gentleman and have spoken in the past when I had prblems with other tenants. will let you both know the out come of the letter.. if you wish to see what I have written I will PM it I wont put it on here as there is personal details that I do not wish to make public on the forum

It may be worth posting here but blanking out the personal bits...?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Might be a word with the father if he's nice - possibly before sending the letter. Are you able to contact him by phone?

its a bit difficult as the agency is run by a father and son, son deals with lettings where as the father deals with buying and selling.. tis hard to get hold of the father unless he is about on the off chance but often or not you get the secretary and she passes you straight to the son

I think you be able to be rehoused by the council as they have a duty of care so to speak i have just started a housing course if you were to prevent yourself as homeless to the council the law says that you are home less if :

* They have accomadation but it is not reasonable for they to occupy it eg fleeing domestic violence, statutory overcrowding, accommadation is prejudicial to health

you would also have "priority need" a person with whom dependant children reside or might reasonably be expected to reside.

looking at my notes you would be classed as "unintentionally homeless"

I dont know if you want to go down this route but i hope it helps, the housing may help you to get your landlord to do the repairs

So is your landlord an estate/lettings agent? Not just a private landlord?

In that case they must have a licence.

I am astonished that someone with a licence to arrange lettings would be behaving like this. Apart from not doing the necessary repairs, they are letting you stay in a property without a tenancy agreement. This is very bizarre.

What do you think MrShed?

Afraid not - no complulsory regulation for letting agents.

So is your landlord an estate/lettings agent? Not just a private landlord?

I am astonished that someone with a licence to arrange lettings would be behaving like this. Apart from not doing the necessary repairs, they are letting you stay in a property without a tenancy agreement. This is very bizarre.

What do you think MrShed?

yes they are a letting agency my lease was for 6 months but it has never been renewed, but on my daughters it also says for six months but when she moved after the six months they told her it was for a year and she had to pay an extra month after moving out, if that makes sence, even though she gave them a months notice she still had to pay an extra month, cant work it out

I think you be able to be rehoused by the council as they have a duty of care so to speak i have just started a housing course if you were to prevent yourself as homeless to the council the law says that you are home less if :

* They have accomadation but it is not reasonable for they to occupy it eg fleeing domestic violence, statutory overcrowding, accommadation is prejudicial to health

you would also have "priority need" a person with whom dependant children reside or might reasonably be expected to reside.

I dont know if you want to go down this route but i hope it helps, the housing may help you to get your landlord to do the repairs

it looks like i may have to go down this route

Sorry, MrShed, I stand corrected. Most of agents I have come across have been members of ARLA.

Your daughter had a break clause in a 12 month contract which allowed her to get out of the lease after six months, but she had to give a month's notice and could not do that until the end of the six months, so the minimum amount of time she had to pay rent for was seven months. If she gave a month's notice after five months they should have pointed that out to her.

They sound very dodgy.

mrshed i was going to pm you the letter but read what you put so unless you ok it to send it i wont, but really cannot put it on here due to others who read these forums

but if any one else on here who wishes to go over it please let me know

Only if you sit it out and await the landlord to evict.

Sorry to constantly be the naysayer here by the way!!!

To me, the best method, as I say, is ask the landlord to action the repairs in a nice fashion.

If that doesnt work then go all guns blazing - you may not be evicted, but in any event even if you are you clearly cannot continue to live in a property damaging to your health.

mrshed i was going to pm you the letter but read what you put so unless you ok it to send it i wont, but really cannot put it on here due to others who read these forums

but if any one else on here who wishes to go over it please let me know

PM away - just generally speaking better to put in public so that it isnt just my opinion :)

Sorry, MrShed, I stand corrected. Most of agents I have come across have been members of ARLA.

Your daughter had a break clause in a 12 month contract which allowed her to get out of the lease after six months, but she had to give a month's notice and could not do that until the end of the six months, so the minimum amount of time she had to pay rent for was seven months. If she gave a month's notice after five months they should have pointed that out to her.

They sound very dodgy.

oh extremely dodgy I am slowly finding out how dodgy they are. according to my neighbours ive been here the longest, 11 months, others have stayed as little as 6 weeks, mostly left because of repairs or break ins. Its a converted house made into 2 flats and a bedsit. It used to be 8 bed sits that housed drug users, and people leaving prison, it has a notorious past and is a well know house where I live and still has a stigma attached to it. I get the police round here on a regular basis asking for some one who lived here when it was bedsits. This was known as the biggest drug house in my area, I think thats why they turned it into flats. I was not aware of this when i moved in. its only recently when a friend popped round who told me the history. Ive had two attempted break ins since being here, my car has been broken into twice and people use my garden as a public walkthrough, not to mention round the back as a public toilet. Ive had peeping toms, threats with knives from people thinking that I was a previous tenant, the list is endless. Why dont I move?? I cant afford to and apart from this one wall problem I have the flat is a lovely flat and suits my disability.

Hey OP.

Letter received but havent had time to read it.

The main reason for this is it is FAR too long.

It should be polite and to the point, I wouldnt go into the entire history of the tenancy as you have done.

It should be less than one page. :)

Thanks Mrshed its being rewritten omitting a few details, I will sqaush it down as much as I can. Still no signs of any one to get this sorted and was not able to call the EHS yesterday as have just come out of hospital and was sedated most of the day yesterday and head was not in the right frame of mind to deal with it. Niece is away for the weekend so not worried too much if it rains again. I am speaking with my GP on monday to see if he can write a letter as well. im also making an appointment with my local housing officer next week and have placed my name down with a few letting agencies just in case. Many thanks for your help.