style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

re security/privacy; adblock plus, better privacy, noscript plugins. pretty much all thats needed for the 'average' fox 'geek' :) . can enable scripts per site if needed re functionality of website.

saying that, IE 9 can disable active x (scripts) at a click (activex filtering) and then can be enabled per site. there is also the tracking protection which can be customized eg with an ad blocking list.

disabling scripts would prevent pretty much most website based viruses/exploits. but, disabling scripts may affect functionality of a site.

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

• 4 months later...

hi

a decent antivirus should protect against keyloggers/corrupt ADS/rootkits.

i don't use WOT. just noscript. if going to an 'unknown' site with noscript then no chance of infection. maybe no need for wot. thing is though where a 'trusted'/known site say bbc for eg, and so have allowed scripts/relied on wot, is script infected, not much can do except then rely on antivirus.

don't know about the https you mention

Edited by Ford

IMO

also, spybot has the 'immunize' function which puts known 'bad' sites into a browser (like an adblock list) preventing such sites from loading if called. sort of a 'plugin'.

Edited by Ford

IMO

been trying wot on spare/test pc. not too bad. at least it could give a poss prior warning re a site.

fox also has built in phishing protection, which can be turned on/off in options.

noscript also blocks flash, but which can then be shown at a click if needed. (so no need for flashblock on top)

IMO

.... I tried AVG free as its got a big rep. Had no end of trouble with updates and even problems uninstalling it.

Regards pitcher

last time i tried avg it was a complete resource hog, slowed things down no end. imo, avast is the best free one to go for, but check the options re privacy stats, cloud etc. MSE is not too bad resource wise and re reactive detections. but re browsing/overall avast wins imo.

Edited by Ford

IMO

yes, i don't use their web addon either. and i disable the 'share' etc as well. i keep it bareish bones, if that makes sense.

yes, similar. spybot lists its known 'bad' sites (they can be seen in fox tools options), and firefox has the phishing site protection which is done via online and more to do with phishing. IE does have a similar function (smarscreen filter) as well though (just to be impartial :) ). re spybot also, i don't use the 'teatimer' as that can slow and poss cause conflicts. so i just use it for immunize, and on demand context scanning. also, useful re file shredder and start ups (but ms autoruns is best for start ups). i digress :)

Avira antiv is another free one to consider.

i'll have a look at https.

cheers.

Edited by Ford

IMO

• 2 weeks later...

had a quick look at https, seems ok. but doesn't encrypt connections to 3rd party sites, and is site specific re a common database. similar to that notification in ie which says some info is encrypted do you want continue re unencrypted. but, how would that protect against an infected flash, pdf, script, and tp sites for eg?

Edited by Ford

IMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

pitcher, hows it going?

just to add, as you say avast has gone awol! have gone back to avira with product messages disabled. and on one lappy, no real time antiv at all!

noscript is now really only useful when browsing a site if don't need the functionality of the site. most sites now don't function properly at all without script. but is still ok re those third party scripts on a site.

also, don't use wot, key scrambler, adblock plus (but use the adblock tracking protection one in IE), https, etc. and so far no infections. but, alot depends on browsing habits and keeping things like flash (i use activex filtering in IE), pdf, java, uptodate.

in other words as bare bones as can be! :)

IMO

just seen that they don't actually have an 'official' 64bit version for windows, but they have a 'beta'/nightly build one. but they say the 32 bit works just the same on 64!

check what else could be running to slow things down, eg addons, antivirus, settings, win 8 services/settings (it could be something to do with 8 itself and not the browser), power management, etc

is IE just as slow?

could try fox in 'safe mode', see what happens?

or could try the 'unofficial' 64 bit one?

Edited by Ford

IMO

try fox in safe mode (ie without addons), turn off phishing/attack/web forgeries site check in tools/options/security, see if any improvements.

or, uninstall your current fox, then give this a try. http://www.firefox64bit.com/ see if it makes any difference. if not just uninstall it and reinstall the other one back and troubleshoot other poss issues.

post back

Edited by Ford

IMO

thank you I will, do I need to install all the bits? I clicked the link and there is more then one to install

download the recommended 'exe installer' 'official build' download one for windows from link posted in #38. virus scan, then run it.

Edited by Ford

IMO

no worries

it was prob just antivirus updating and doing its scheduled scanning, which does slow things down. (scanning schedule can be changed, or turned off).

us link should be ok?

IMO

• 2 weeks later...

hi pitcher

no worries, health is most import. be well. (i've also stopped the cigs, 10 mths now :))

yes, i just use no script with fox (no other addons), it stops ads and controls flash. browsing is quick, and if i need to allow a site its easily done. can't knock it.

yes, i use mbam also, and SAS re on demand. and still using the older version (without the bloat) spybot.

cheers.

re lappy, just trying it without real time a/v seeing how it goes. there's nothing sensitive on it to risk, and is just a browser. if it does happen to get infected beyond fix, will just wipe.

Edited by Ford

IMO