Internet explorer 8

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I'v had a nightmare 2days. Updated from ie7 to ie 8 and now the internet wont load at all. Ie 8 not listed in add and remove programs so cant find a way of unin stalling it and reverting back to 7.this post is sent from my mobile. Any one any ideas.

Hi all. I'v had a nightmare 2days. Updated from ie7 to ie 8 and now the internet wont load at all. Ie 8 not listed in add and remove programs so cant find a way of unin stalling it and reverting back to 7.this post is sent from my mobile. Any one any ideas.

Is there no link to start IE anyway at all ?

I believe that IE is not available to install and uninstall in the normal way.

You could try installing Firefox and then using that to connect to the web and try and download and install IE8 again. (You would have to get Firefox on a CD from a friend or something)

Or perhaps use System Restore to roll back to when you had IE7 installed or if you have made a backup image at some point, restore your PC using that image.

Andy

I have removed it on PC's many times , people miss it in add and remove because its further down in add and remove in the W's eg windows ie8 or similar, not as is it would normally be in the I's

the Microsoft link should give you all the info in my other post,

IE8 is total poo

If you double click the icon the page attempts to open. The browser bar is there but empty .the page remains white.cant type anything in the browser bar.def not listed in add and remove. Cant get onto the microsoft web site.have tried system restore.no luck.i'm pulling my hair out trying different things.

I have removed it on PC's many times , people miss it in add and remove because its further down in add and remove in the W's eg windows ie8 or similar, not as is it would normally be in the I's

the Microsoft link should give you all the info in my other post,

IE8 is total poo

In Windows 7 (and I suspect Vista) its under 'Turn windows features on or off'.

Andy

Assuming you've used the default install path, you can open up Windows explorer winodw, and punch the following into the address bar:

c:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\

which will open the IE8 folder. Find and run spuninst.exe to uninstall.

Regardless, I sincerely advise changing to the superior browser, Firefox. If you really must continue to have IE polluting your machine, and some do (I do for testing websites in different browsers, for example), then you can safely run FireFox on the same machine - and even at the same time - without impacting on your IE installation.

Hmmm think I might take that advice myself. :rolleyes: New laptop running IE. Was wary installing a new browser.

Thanks Tez.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hmmm think I might take that advice myself. :rolleyes: New laptop running IE. Was wary installing a new browser.

Thanks Tez.

My pleasure. As I say, I do a fair bit of web-coding, so run IE6, IE7, IE8, Chrome, FireFox, Safari and Opera on the same machine. FireFox will quite happily operate at the exact same time as any other browser, and the installations are all separate, so there is absolutely no danger to installing and trying it out. If you don't like it, you've lost nothing. If you like it, you've gained.

Incidentally, ee-bee, Micro$oft are noted for sneaking some of their programs they don't want you removing away from the common screens. You can refer to their own guide to removing the offending browser HERE.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your help. I'm not very clued up where computers are concerned. I have managed to uninsuall ie8 but it has.nt reverted back to 7 also did a system restore. I am now down loading fire fox. When i get fire fox is it safe to uninsuall ie7.thats assuming i can find it. Its listed in add and remove programs but when i click on it theses no change/remove button

is it safe to uninsuall ie7.thats assuming i can find it. Its listed in add and remove programs but when i click on it theses no change/remove button

That would be aprt of the aforementioned Micro$oft trying to force you to use inferior software by making it difficult to uninstall.

Whilst it is of course still possible, why bother? Firefox will quite happily work whether IE is present or not, so you may as well just leave it there.

Incidentally, and this goes equally for sea-sidelady and anyone else taking up the 'Fox for the first time; FireFox is superior in a great many ways, the chief of which is its ability to use little scripts - called plugins - that change or enhance certain aspects of the browser.

I've started a thread specifically regarding Plugins HERE.

my god,i`v installed fire fox,took about 1 min and hey presto, i`m on line,and what i see so far i like,many many thanks:):)

As wella s Plugins, Firefox also has thousands of themes available. these serve absolutely no practical purpose and are purely aesthetic, but it's nice to have a browser that's nice to look at.

Theme selections found HERE

Like everything with FireFox, you just point it at the installer and it's done. Don't like it? Just go to Tools, Add-Ons, hit the Themes tab and take it off again. It's that simple.

This is just one of the many reasons why FireFox is king of the browsers.

Much as I hate it I have IE8 installed on my machine, along with chrome and firefox.

Unfortunately there are some websites that are only customised for IE and won't function properly without it.

With regard to Antivirus software I prefer Avast to AVG. Might have just been me but I seemed to get a lot of false positives of AVG. Avast seems much better on that front.

Also don't forget a firewall to add to your security.

There's a lot of free software covered in this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/technical-computer-console-satnav/227309-free-discounted-software.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------