Refund on Skydiving voucher?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just purchased a Skydiving voucher for my brother in law for his 40th. Foolishly I didn't read any reviews on the company in question before booking the voucher. I've now read a few which have made me a bit concerned and have decided I want to cancel the voucher and book it somewhere else. Just wondering what my rights are here? Do I get 7 days to cancel as per the DSR? No specific date has been booked. It's just a voucher that he can redeem by booking his chosen date.

Thanks

PTC

I don't see why this would not be covered under the DSRs, assuming you made the purchase at a distance - see section 2.15 of the OFT guide to distance selling:

Do the DSRs apply to the sale of gift vouchers?

2.15 Yes. In our view, the provision of gift vouchers is a contract for the supply of a service. The provision of vouchers that are in the form of electronic money (such as a card with a magnetic strip that may be accepted as a form of payment) may be considered the provision of a ’financial service’ and so the FSDMRs will apply.

Thanks for the response.

Yes the purchase was made over the net just a couple of hours ago.

So I have 7 days in which to write and cancel?

What happens if they send a voucher stating the persons name on it? Could this be classed as personalised and therefore not covered by the DSR? Should I email them to cancel now so there's less chance of them sending anything or should I post a letter? Or should I contact my card company and cancel the transaction?

I know I may be jumping the gun a bit but from the reviews I've read I'm anticipating a fight to get the money back.

This wouldn't be 'personalised', but it pays to be cautious BEFORE purchase, not go through the hassles subsequently to the purchase. Rather than await the voucher, if you plan to cancell, contact them NOW and ask them to cancel with immediate effect.

The voucher is not in itself the service - merely a token.

Who are the company and what do their Ts&Cs state? Not that they would necessarily effect your statutory rights, but they might indicate whether the company is aware of your rights.